• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goex 3F on GunBroker $65 a Pound

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think you can blame Gun Broker for charging sales tax. I believe that is a federal or state regulation. It is all about the government getting their hands on more of our money. GB is just required to collect that tax.
Graf's didn't charge me state sales tax. I think it's still optional for the seller. Legally speaking, if sales tax wasn't collected by the seller, I'm supposed to report it on my state income tax return.

There was a lot that changed on GB when Ammo Inc bought them. Not all for the better, IMO. I used to be an Ammo Inc shareholder. I sold my shares. I'm a bit skeptical of their business practices, to be quite honest, even though they're a manufacturing presence here in Wisconsin, providing jobs for Wisconsin residents. For one thing, I discovered their .223/5.56 ammo bullets have a steel core, and that small but important detail was hard to discern from the package label. So I suspect their "truth in labelling" criteria may be a bit sketchy. I don't care to be an owner of a company whose ethical standards are questionable.

Last edited:
Well, needing to buy more than you want to get what you want is kinda similar. I only needed and wanted a pound, but had to buy five pounds to be able to order it online from Graf's. Other vendors similar (one was full cases only). Five pounds is going to last me a really, really long time!! At least I got free hazmat and free shipping.

GB ain't what it used to be. I've scored a lot of good deals there, but not lately with their mandatory sales taxes and fees assessed to buyers.
One needs to look at it this way:
You only wanted one pound at a time, but now you are set for a really really long time.
When a long time comes and you Need another pound, it most likely will cost more then then it did now. And in a really long time it would cost even more, and in a really really long time it might not even be available or cost a really really lot more.
Five pound don't take up that much room, it don't spoil or lose its potency. But its cost continues to rise, so especially you have 'locked in your price' for a really really long time (or just a really long time if you begin to shoot more).

I still have a few cans (metal) that I bought for about $14 each, a couple other cans for $17. Then I have some bottles I paid $22 to $26 (mixing in some Swiss to the order).

I have yet to spend $30+ on a pound and I wont for a really long time. And should it vanish from the market again then I should (hopefully) have enough $14 -$25 powder to keep me going until I learn to make my own.

GunBroker didn't make the sales tax laws. You need to talk to your state representatives about that.
They're the ones that wanted all that tax money they were losing.
That is correct. It's a state requirement. Recently changed to be mandatory here in my state. Yet, if a seller has no presence in a state and chooses to not collect and remit the state sales tax of the buyer's state, who's going to prosecute them?

it's the convenience factor, and the majority of you (not meant as a point of contention) don't want to be inconvenienced with the storing of more then a pound or two, or think that it will go bad. I learned to buy it in case quantity 30 years ago because my kids and i were going to at least a shoot a month plus hunting 6 people shooting = lots of powder ! and it was a pain to go and fetch it from the local supplier. i shopped around and found Deer Creek they always had what i needed for several dollars less then the local guys, money was tight with 5 kids and a stay at home wife or daycare. no i'm retired and can afford to buy what i want when i want i still purchase it by the case. 1 of my kids still shoots with me every chance his employer will allow we travel hundreds of miles each month to shoot our muzzleloaders, his siblings refuse to buy more then a pound or two at a time and then gripe when they have to pay $45 a pound. a case is still less then $30 a pound delivered to your door
It won't go bad. A Civil War exploding shell, if not drowned over time, will and can explode.

Re, the OP's vendor link, they also ask $160 a box for 44-40, I hope they are out of business soon. These kinds of guys were asking $10 for 22 shells out here. Shame, shame shame

I hope this isn’t from an Individual..
If it’s a licensed dealer, they won’t be in business long..
The person was selling quantities of 1F, 2F, and 3F on there for a month and said the winning bidder could buy more than the five cans if they want at the same price they paid for the five. The ad said quantities available.

Last edited:
I looked on GB and only found a couple ads for bp cartridge’s…

It’s not important too me anyway, just hate too see some innocent internet shyster get an unexpected visit from Mr. ATF…

One needs to look at it this way:
You only wanted one pound at a time, but now you are set for a really really long time.
When a long time comes and you Need another pound, it most likely will cost more then then it did now. And in a really long time it would cost even more, and in a really really long time it might not even be available or cost a really really lot more.
Five pound don't take up that much room, it don't spoil or lose its potency. But its cost continues to rise, so especially you have 'locked in your price' for a really really long time (or just a really long time if you begin to shoot more).

I still have a few cans (metal) that I bought for about $14 each, a couple other cans for $17. Then I have some bottles I paid $22 to $26 (mixing in some Swiss to the order).

I have yet to spend $30+ on a pound and I wont for a really long time. And should it vanish from the market again then I should (hopefully) have enough $14 -$25 powder to keep me going until I learn to make my own.
That’s the most sensible way of looking at it!

Back