• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

gobblers knob or fort fredrick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me wich event is larger, Gobblers Knob G.N.A.R.market fair or Fort Fredrick market fair ? Both are held at the same time and very close together.
Thanks, Trinity

They used to be one in the same, until about 3 years ago and they parted ways. I would have to say that the GNAR is "Bigger" but I think that Fort Frederick has a better quality of sutlers and seems to be growing each year. But before any one starts gathering the lynch mob, that is only MY opinion. I am seriously considering doing both this year, Fort Fred on Friday and Gobblers on Saturday. It's a shame that they don't try to do consectutive weekends instead of the same one, they would both do much better.

The two will always be on the same weekend, although this year the GNAR starts on the 22 and runs the week. The GNAR started because 3 years ago Fort Frederick said they did not want campers, only traders and Sutlers. So GNAR gave us a place to camp when the trip is too far for a day trip. Then Fred said only F&I campers, so most who are not F&I re-enactors can still come and camp and visit Fred. I camp over at GNAR and have visited Fred from there. GNAR runs with the same rules as the "Original" Fort Frederick Market Fair with the period of 1640-1840. So you see more diversity. If you can day trip great, but when you want to camp I recomend GNAR. That is my opinion. Oh and I am an F&I re-enactor so if I wanted I could camp at Fred, I don't.

Matt and I won't make it this year to FT. Fred. I am under doctor's orders not to ride for that long a distance. The first one one we have missed since 1999.
Ft. Fred has definitely undergone some changes the last couple of years. The Patuxents are sorely missed as are the campers. The rules and time period are much different now.
We have never been to the GNAR event, but have heard some good things from the campers there. Sure hope that these events continue.It would be a shame if they don't prosper and grow.
Slash

To anyone that didn't already know the Lancaster County Longrifles Rondezvous is the first weekend in May 4th, 5th, 6th, n 7th. Over at Muddy Run Park along the Susquehanna river. It is a normal vous type event with 8 to 900 people attending. Many of the suttlers from Ft Fred and the GNAR attend. There is good shooting, archery, woodswalks, hawk n knife events for the men and also events n seminars set up for the women and kids. google up northernlancastercountylongrifles for more info. Its a good event with loads of fun. YMHS Birdman

Howdy,
Ft. Frederick has a lot of Sutlers signed up according to the Web-Site. They have, for the last 2 years, not had the camper volume they used to have due to time period limitations. According to the GNAR site they do not have the Sutler numbers, but the ones they do have are good-ins. Since 2003, the greater number of campers have been being at the GNAR site as stated in the previous postings. We will day-trip both and if we had a chance to stay , we would be at Gobblers Knob. I spoke to the Booshway for the GNAR event and he speaks good words. :thumbsup:

I just got a note from the Scribe of the GNAR. It said that due to the lack of rain this spring they are, as of right now and subject to change, not going to a allowed to have open fires. They suggest gas or coleman stoves for cooking. I don't know about braizers. I will be contacting them. I don't know if it is the same for Fred since it is in MD and GNAR is in PA. You might want to contact Fred to be sure. I would bite to get there and find out. These 2 events are only about 30 miles apart.

I believe Fort Fredrick is juried to pre 1790. The camper numbers have been down but have increased each year. I guess it's all in what you want. If you want to stay in the 18th century time period have an eastern persona and don't mind dealing with the occasional thread nazi Ft. Fred is the way to go. If your interest is a later time period and you fancy yourself a bucksinner and don't mind the occasional vendor whose items are somewhat suspect even for 1840 then the GNAR would probably be your best bet. I'll be day tripping to Ft. Fred this year as most of the vendors that I do business with will be there. I too will add that it would be nice if they were on different weekends. I think there's plenty of room for both in this fine hobby. :v

Howdy,
I spoke to the Booshway, Gary, And he stated the same story about the open fires. Ft. Freddy may be in the same boat. Someone might want to give Steve Robertson a call @ Ft. Freddy and report here about the fire situation.

This is what I got from Fort Fred today. If you are going to camp at either Fred or GNAR plan accordingly..

Important Information about the Fort Frederick

Market Fair

Dear Market Fair Participant,

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources has implemented a "complete ban on all open air burning”¦ This includes leaf burning, campfires, and charcoal grilling, but excludes the use of propane grills."

Campfires will NOT be allowed at the event unless the burn ban has been lifted, and fines will be imposed if necessary. Propane or other gas stoves will be allowed during non-public hours. We are making every effort to provide additional food vendors and will provide directions to local restaurants.

For updates on the status of the ban in Washington County check the Maryland Department of Natural Resources website ”“ www.dnr.state.md.us. Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail ”“ nor burn bans ”“ will stop the Market Fair!

The Market Fair Committee

Blessed are the cracked for it is they who let in the light!

Okay just in case there was any question about the ban at Fort Frederick I got this e-mail today...I just got back from Gobbler's Knob and camp is filling up nicely. There are a lot of folks that are only coming for the 27-30. and I have checked braizers are permitted at GNAR (Gobbler's Knob) ONLY.

Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 4:30 PM
Subject: 2nd email on fire ban

This is our second emailing to help you understand the fire ban restrictions.

Please read the attachment.

To help further clear up the questions - Propane grills only - no open fires for cooking, no campfires. There is one and only one exception - a pre-manufactured wood stove with a pipe.

Also, there is a $125.00 first offense fine for breaking the ban, and a $250.00 second offense.

Hope this helps - don't forget to check www.dnr.state.md.us for further updates.

Okay this is the latest, it was sent to me from the Friends of Fort Frederick.

I just got off the phone with the Maryland Forestry folks (4/24 2:10 p.m.). The fire ban has been lifted for the entire state. Dave

Enjoy all

Back