• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED GM LRH or other fast twist...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the best of my knowledge flint breeched Thompson/Center, drop-in barrels with a fast twist were simply not ever offered for sale by either Thompson/Center, or Green Mountain.

Two reasons for that...
1. Performance**** most people are HORRIFIED by the mere thought of a flint fast twist barrel. Their arguments are that the higher breech pressures of saboted muzzleloading bullets, and lead conicals, will create too long of & hot of a pressure jet through the touch hole. Resulting in excelerated touch hole wear, and too great of a pressure loss, resulting in poor accuracy.

2. Esthetics****The same people are equally HORRIFIED by the thought of a "modern" saboted muzzleloading bullet coming out of the muzzle of a flintlock rifle. Or, a lead conical. BECAUSE, everybody knows that ONLY patched balls are allowed to be shot out of a flintlock.

They somehow overlook the fact that EVERY year at Friendship, people shooting flintlocks with fast twist barrels compete right alongside the inline shooters out to some pretty remarkable distances.

And, furthermore, WHO CARES?????????

We live in the 21st Century, NOT the 18th Century. UNLESS you decide to reenact, why should other flintlock owners & shooters care what rate of twist and projectile another flintlock shooter is using?

Do what you want. In my opinion, light to mid-weight projectiles will in all likelihood shoot out of a fast twist, flint breeched barrel with minimal touch hole wear.

Just keep an ample supply of AMPCO touch hole liners on hand, the same way you would for nipples in a percussion rifle.

Jason at Rice will breech one of their .50 caliber, 1", 4140CM steel, 26"-32" long, Thompson/Center, drop-in barrels with a flint breech plug. All you have to do is ask. No price difference.

Because the higher breech pressures from sabots & lead Conicals ARE going to wear touch hole liners out faster (the heavier the bullet the faster the hole will wear from the flame jet), you should install the removable/replaceable, RMC/OX-YOKE, 1/4"-28 threaded, AMPCO bronze, screwdriver slotted, touch hole liners. In conjunction with an inexpensive, minus, 50-pc., 0.011"-0.060", pin gage set, you will be able to monitor, and replace, the touch hole liner BEFORE it starts to effect accuracy.

Last edited:
I should also add to the above post, that shooting lead conicals, paper patched lead bullets, or any kind of bullet in a plastic sabot, out of a flint breeched fast twist barrel is going to result in lower breech pressures due to the more open breech with the gasses escaping through the touch hole.

As a result, muzzle velocities are going to be LOWER. HOW much lower will depend on many factors, but rest assured, it's going to take a larger powder charge in a flintlock fast twist barrel to achieve the same velocity as in a percussion breeched fast twist barrel.

So, don't start out expecting stellar long range results, even with BH209.

I have been spitballing a .45 caliber, 1:14" fast twist, Rice, Honaker profile, 46" long, swamped, octagon-round barrel. A completed longrifle should weigh in at approximately 9-9.5 pounds. You could go lighter, but if one is EVER TEMPTED to shoot a 500 grain bullet in the rifle, then that 9-9.5 pound weight will be ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to help mitigate recoil.

I would really want it primarily to shoot Pittman & Fury .40 caliber bullets out of Harvester, dark blue, Crush Rib, .50 caliber sabots for .40 caliber bullets.

That same rate of twist will stabilize the Accurate Molds, #45-510M bullet, which in pure lead calculates out to 528.7 grains. Using the JBM Stability Calculator, one gets a 5.64 in the green

i bought a fast twist 45 cal from green mountain and currently have it on a pennsylvania carbine stock t/c

Just another way to get there...
My "fast twist" TC flinter is a .52 (made from a .50) for paper patching off the shelf fifty rifle molds* and .515" round ball.

*.519" push through sizer.

I haven't updated y'all in awhile, but I took both TCs to Bobby H and they are now 54calibers with a 1-in-32 twist. I also had the locks worked on at cabin creek. So, they are both totally redone. I shot the renegade the other week and had very good results. I have yet to work through the Hawken.

More to come...

Back