• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GM IBS Barrel Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Sarge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just perchased a slightly used but not abused .50 X 32" 1:70 GM barrel for my Investarms Hawken. What loads are you guys using for yours. FFg or FFFg, Patching, how many grains in charge? My old barrel(1:48X28") liked 80 gr of FFg and .012 patches. Like to have a good idea in order to conserve powder searching out the load. Thanks in advance...TOM

this might suprise you but I had the same barrel in .54 and it really liked 60g fffg and shot about the same with 70g ffg. if I had to shoot out to 100yd or a little more it tightened up again at 80g fffg and 90ffg

Hope this helps
Galen

Sarge,
I don't want to make things complicated but the simple fact is that two apparently identical barrels can prefer different loads to give best accuracy. Your best bet is to start low and increase the charges until groups tighten up. The good news is that you can increase the charge by 10 grains at a time which limits how many different possible loads you have to try before finding the best one. I'm talking pure accuracy here, not the ability to blow a ball completely through a buffalo. I start at 40 grains in a .50 cal and go up.

John

I was figuring about 60-65 Gr for target, 75-80 for deer. What do you use for patching? Pillow ticking(blue)? Thanks 54

.495 ball, .012-.015 patch kinda slick but not wet. 60 gr FFg for short range and 90 gr for 100 yards and bigger game (same sight picture with primitive sights).
TC

I shoot 70 grs in just about everything. And I shoot the same way I hunt. I don't like light loads for playing and than heavier loads for hunting. Shoot paper if you are a target shooter but shoot what you hunt if you are a hunter. BTW, I just love my GM barrels they are great.

Back