• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gibralter rock candy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexiKan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Recently I read an article about a company that has continued to make the Gibralater rock candy since 1806.

I cannot recall seeing or tasting this at a Rendezvous. The candy is associated with Salem so it may be more of an Eastern thing. It was supposed to be the first candy made commercially in America.

Is this more common back East?

TexiKan

I just looked the company up after reading this. I think I'll pass on it. They want $15 for a box of 12 candies!

$15 per box is ridiculous!!!! Most liquor stores have the stuff at a very reasonable price. It must be used in making some kinds of drinks. It comes on sticks sort of like swizzle sticks. All it is is crystalized sugar. Nothing more. There are some places that add flavors to it but for the most part it is simply large sugar crystals. It can be made at home by simply making a supersaturated sugar solution on the stove and then putting a string or a stick into the stuff and letting it cool. It takes a few days for the large crystals to grow, but that is all there is to it. If you want a flavor in it, simply add the flavoring as soon as you remove it fron the stove. $15 a box my aching patootie!!! Who are they trying to kid?

Just do a web search on OLD TIME CANDY and you will find all sorts of suppliers and alot cheaper than above! You see the stuff at Rendezvous out this way all the time! If the candy were on a cardboard stick, we would just call them Suckers!

This Gibralter candy seems to be a lot different from the sugar crystals on a stick. This stuff is supposed to be taffy-like when it's fresh, but if it sits too long it turns harder than a gunflint. Sounds interesting to my sweet tooth, but to expensive for my wallet.
Here's a link to the shop in Salem: www.yeoldepeppercandy.com/pages/girbralters.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back when I was a Pup Rock Candy was added to Rye Whiskey. This was used to treat sore throats and colds. The fact is Rock Candy is nothing and Rye Whiskey is terrible. But "Rock and Rye" is more fun than Chicken Soup. :thumbsup:

Yes, it sounds like there is a time it is taffy-like. And it also sounds like it is fairly easy to make....but I sure haven't seen it at any of our Rondys. Has anyone actually made it......at a camp? The same company also touts their Blackjacks which are also an old candy.

TexiKan

redwing said:
Back when I was a Pup Rock Candy was added to Rye Whiskey. This was used to treat sore throats and colds. The fact is Rock Candy is nothing and Rye Whiskey is terrible. But "Rock and Rye" is more fun than Chicken Soup. :thumbsup:

Yep, Rock & Rye. My grandfather used to make it every year for a holiday treat. My memory's not all that great, but I remember Mason jars filled with rye, with a piece of rock candy and slices of oranges, lemons, and maraschino cherries. He let it all soak for 6 months or more before he would open it.

Back