• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gettysburg, PA area

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdixon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am spending a week in the Gettysburg, PA area next week. I am always on the hunt for good flintlock / muzzleloader retailers, gunsmiths ect. There has to be some in this area, right? (one would think that in Daniel Boone's backyard where I live there would be some but, you would be wrong!). If anyone has any suggestions of such a place within decent driving distance, let me know. Thanks!!!

Yes, there is a good one on Rt 997 and I81 near Chambersburg. It's called Fort Chambers Muzzleloading. It's across from a Gander Mtn store. It's not far from Gettysburg.

Link

Cabin Creek is in the county east of Gettysburg (York). My guess, it is about 30 miles. Brad Emig builds custom M/L or he will assmble a kit for you. I would call before going to his shop.
[url] http://www.cabincreek.net/index.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys!!!, at least I thank you, my wife is not real happy with the information. These places were exactly what I thought would be in that area - I plan on visiting both - looks like I am going to have to both.

J.R. said:
I am spending a week in the Gettysburg, PA area next week. I am always on the hunt for good flintlock / muzzleloader retailers, gunsmiths ect. There has to be some in this area, right? (one would think that in Daniel Boone's backyard where I live there would be some but, you would be wrong!). If anyone has any suggestions of such a place within decent driving distance, let me know. Thanks!!!

You might try [url] http://www.juniatalongrifle.com/[/url]
It might be a bit of a drive from Gettysburg, but, they do carry Jim Chambers flintlocks... :grin: Buy one of those and you can really make your wife happy.... :rotf:

In about 1 and 1/2 hrs. you can be at Dixon's. They have the largest open inventory on the east coast.[url] www.dixonmuzzleloading.com[/url] 610-756-6271
I'm sure you will love it

One of the best gunsmiths in the nation lives near Selinsgrove on the Susquehanna River north of Gettysburg: David Dodds. But I don't know if he has a shop as such--he does custom work.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Dodd and his lovely wife at the gun makers fair. I was able to see his work and you are right it is fantastic.

J.R.,
Don't go into Gander Mountain...If it is
like the one in my neighborhood they won't know
the difference between a F/L and a C/L but they know they have I/L's in stock that are a lot better
than what you are asking for. Great place to go,
unless you want anything traditional.Ask for B/P
instead of pyrodex and watch for the look on the
salesman face. 99% of the time he will tell you
it is the same thing.....Right :nono:
snake-eyes :hmm:

Unfortunately you are very right! I've been to the Gander Mt. across the road from Ft. Chambers. It is a great place to look for clothes and other goodies, especially shotgunning supplies. But forget it if you are looking for ML supplies other than cleaning jags. I did go through their ML supplies which are strictly for those modern guns you load through the nose just to compare prices with traditional powder, etc. How do those inwhiners afford to shoot them thangs? To make a point, I can shoot every Saturday at the range with traditional for a year cheaper than one Saturday with their products, not that I ever will. I'm gettin' off topic. Gander Mt. is a good place for clothing and other products (though expensive) but NOT for muzzleloading. We just got one near where I live and I want to go looking for shirts. They're nice!

KanawhaRanger said:
Unfortunately you are very right! I've been to the Gander Mt. across the road from Ft. Chambers. It is a great place to look for clothes and other goodies, especially shotgunning supplies. But forget it if you are looking for ML supplies other than cleaning jags. I did go through their ML supplies which are strictly for those modern guns you load through the nose just to compare prices with traditional powder, etc. How do those inwhiners afford to shoot them thangs? To make a point, I can shoot every Saturday at the range with traditional for a year cheaper than one Saturday with their products, not that I ever will. I'm gettin' off topic. Gander Mt. is a good place for clothing and other products (though expensive) but NOT for muzzleloading. We just got one near where I live and I want to go looking for shirts. They're nice!

Well you can blame TV and all the advertising they do for the HIGH prices on the modern muzzleloader stuff.
$15.00 - $18.00 for 10 - 15 bullets for an inline...What a bunch of manure the greedy ba$tards.

J.R. said:
Thanks guys!!!, at least I thank you, my wife is not real happy with the information. These places were exactly what I thought would be in that area - I plan on visiting both - looks like I am going to have to both.

Muzzle Loading Forum - promoting marital harmony everyday. :rotf:

Don't want to rain on your parade if you have your heart set on going to Dixon's, but your looking at more like a two hour plus drive from Gettysburg to Kuntztown.

The ride's worth it if for no other reason than to chew the fat with Chuck. Also, you could stop at Cabellas and see a store that is too big. Every time I go there I need to ask for map and compass coordinates to find what I'm looking for.

I agree a trip to Dixon's is always worth the ride, just wanted to give a more realistic travel time, especially if they are still working on I-78 between 61 and Kutztown.

Back