• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting Started In Ca

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could start by taking classes offered by your state. These would not only teach you basic skills you will need, but give you access to instructors and attendees that can give you information specifically valid for your state.

https://wildlife.ca.gov/Hunter-Education
You can also find many resources online like this:

https://www.themeateater.com/
Good luck and have fun.

I would think California hunter ed would consist of being told you are a bad person for killing poor defenseless animals and get you on the latest gun list. This is SARCASM!! Good luck.

Jikst, welcome to world of hunting! It has been a passion of mine for over 50 years. It has enriched my life.

The recommendation for a Hunter's Ed (HE) course is spot on. Many states require it if you are a younger hunter. If you're not familiar with firearms, a firearms safety course where you get to load and shoot different firearms (if not a major part of the HE course) will help too.

Since you posted on a traditional muzzleloader forum, I'm guessing you're interested in muzzleloader hunting. You might want to go online and locate a muzzleloader club near you, I believe there's one in Bakersfield. Maybe one closer. I'm sure most folks there would be willing to help you.

Good luck and the Muzzleloader Forum folks are always here to help if we can!

I grew up in LA, I’ve never met anyone who hunts. How do I get started? I now reside nearFort Tejon.
I suggest checking in with the CA chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. There are occasional pint nights in the area. I serve on the board and our chapter Pres is in LA. They’re a good group to know. There are occasional hunts that you can join in as a newbie and lots of folks willing to help you learn the ropes.

I also teach Hunter Education, though not more than one class per year. There’s an online class, in-person classes and hybrid (half/half) available. Get on to register-ed.com to see what is scheduled for your area. The class fulfills the education requirement to allow you to purchase a hunting license. It’s really only good for small game. Everything else will require some kind of validation, stamp or tag. Then you just need to learn where you can go & how to hunt the species you’re looking for.

CDFW also hosts “advanced” hunter ed events. I put that in quotes because they’re usually basic-level topics but can help you hone in on a particular species or skill set. It’s beyond what there is time to cover in the regular Hunter Ed class. But they can be very helpful and informative, especially to new hunters.

Nice thank you. There is one near me in February. I’m signing up now.
The folks that recommended hunters Ed courses and advanced hunters events are steering you in the right direction.

I would also like to submit that it would be a good idea to itemize the types of hunting you are interested in. Big game, small game, waterfowl, etc. All have their particulars, regulations, bag limits, recommended firearm, required and recommended ammo, etc. By itemizing whatever it is that you seek to hunt, it will make it easier for you to look up information on it.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
The folks that recommended hunters Ed courses and advanced hunters events are steering you in the right direction.

I would also like to submit that it would be a good idea to itemize the types of hunting you are interested in. Big game, small game, waterfowl, etc. All have their particulars, regulations, bag limits, recommended firearm, required and recommended ammo, etc. By itemizing whatever it is that you seek to hunt, it will make it easier for you to look up information on it.

Good luck to you.
End goal is big game. I already signed myself up for a hunters ed course for February, surprised how cheap it is.

Getting started in big game is allot more intimidating than starting with birds so I might start there.

Getting started in big game is allot more intimidating than starting with birds so I might start there.
I would wager good money that most of us born and raised in hunting families cut our teeth on small game of some kind, or perhaps waterfowl or upland birds. :thumb:

Small game and birds most generally aren't going to require tracking/trailing skills after the shot that is more common with big game. Regarding that skill I cannot recommend enough the books by John Trout, Jr.

Here's an example:

https://books.google.com/books/abou...railing Whitetails" by John Trout, Jr&f=false

End goal is big game. I already signed myself up for a hunters ed course for February, surprised how cheap it is.

Considering you grew up in a major city, I highly recommend you read up on hunting and view as many video's as you can to begin with. Just being in the woods/field is going to take time learning the basics. Nothing difficult, just different. In the meantime, there's plenty to do and learn from home. I do recommend focusing on small game hunting first if possible, even if its varmints. Not a have to, but it will get you familiar with how to handle a rifle/shotgun afield.

Definitely going to take some range time getting acclimated to whatever you choose to hunt with. Shot placement is key. Again, learning the basics on shot placement can be learned from home then followed up with on the range.

I'm assuming you are interesting in muzzle loader hunting (thus you are here now). ML takes a little more time to learn but the rewards are more in the end. Your effective range will be less than most modern firearms on big game. That means you will have to get closer, which is even more rewarding.

So yeah, lots to learn from home. Do what you can now and keep the interest up by watching as many hunting videos as you can. Also, there's plenty to be learned from this forum, as well as from books.

Just remember, despite what modern advertisement will indicate, you do not have to have all the latest and greatest to be a successful hunter. Thus why so many on here still loves their sidelock muzzle loaders. Heck, I don't even have a range finder nor a GPS and I'm quite happy and very successful that way.

If you have any questions just ask on here. You can also send me a PM and I'll be more than happy to help you out the best I can. I don't claim to know it all, but I have learned a thing or two in over 50 years of hunting all across the USA.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Back