• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

German Hunting Horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfbane

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking for a source for traditional German hunting horns. Does, anybody know where I might purchase such a thing?

Well yes! I was kinda hoping someone might have some precise leads on this one. Oh well :surrender:

To begin there are 4 different styles that I am aware of. Lots of German clubs in the area here. Folks around here order them from the old country. a used one might show up on flea-bay now and again. Yeah the white flag is probably appropriate. :surrender: :idunno:

Definitely agree with lonehunter on this one. I'm sure you'll find someone on the Bench who will be able to work with you on creating exactly what your looking for! :thumbsup:

That's fine! I took it as a joke, so no offense taken. It is the same sort of thing I would have said.

I have registered with the Horner's bench, and done a few google's on German hunting horns, and they come in variety of forms. However the google side of things does focus in on orchestral instruments a tad :idunno:

Heck....There are plenty of guys around here that make powder horns...I doubt that making a hunting horn would be any huge stretch.

Show some pictures of what you want, and I'm sure you'll find someone to craft one for you.
I've made well over a dozen powder horns and have material ready to go......I might even give it a shot :)

The Horner's bench has revealed an interesting design. Sourcing the horn is the next step. From there I will see what construction shall bring. I may take you up the out-sourcing offer brasilikilt!

Go to www.frankonia.de This is one of the two big suppliers for hunters in Germany. Use their search function ("Suche" in German) to search for "Jagdhorn". The horns range in price from 39.90 Euros (on sale at the moment) to 1099.00 Euros, so they have something for every budget. I didn't look at the shipping, but is usually is not too bad. My wife is from Germany and I am a German translator by profession, so if you need any help deciphering their site, send me a PM!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that is exactly what I am looking for! :thumbsup:

I will let you know how I go ordering. I have a working knowledge of German that should see me through the purchase, but we shall see :hmm:

Another good place to look is www.ebay.de, the German version of ebay. There are some on there that look pretty inexpensive and some have a lot of patina, if that is something you are looking for!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back