• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

General Black Powder Shooting Stupidity

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Late Seventies we would drop our shotguns off at the principals on our way to class so we could all go hunting after class.
I was Jr. in HS, had a deer hunting trip planned, my Dads house was broke into, they stole my rifle! My social studies teacher loaned me his rifle, brought it to school and gave it o me in the parking lot! never have forgot that teacher. in those days we all had shotguns and rifles in the gun racks in our pickups.

So I guess this was about 20 years ago..., seems like yesterday...,

I've bought my new .54 flinter, Trudy, and it's squirrel and rabbit season. So out I go for some squirrels with my buddy Steve. Steve had a tradgun that day, btw. We head to the public hunting lands, in a state park that's bordered on two sides by suburban neighborhoods...

So WHAM Steve bags a bushy-tail. We move slowly on through the woods, and WHAM, he gets another. Well, I've not shot this rifle except on the range to check the sights, and I'm getting anxious...,

So I tell Steve I've heard about Daniel Boone "barking" squirrels squirrels on tree branches, by shooting the branch just under the head/chest area where the squirrels are perched. This kills them and you go pick em' up. Steve's eyebrows both arch upwards..., a gesture that I've come to know means, "that sounds far fetched". So I try it...,

KBOOM, is shoot up at the branch just under the squirrel's head and he topples out of the tree. Dead, and not a mark on him. I proceed to do this two more times, just to be sure the first hit wasn't a fluke or something..., HA...VINDICATION.

"Um Dave," Steven begins a question, "I'm wondering where does that .530 round ball go, after you shoot it upwards, through that small branch, and where is it coming down?"

SURPRISE EMOJI.JPG

So that was the first and last times I "barked" any squirrels....

LD

I was Jr. in HS, had a deer hunting trip planned, my Dads house was broke into, they stole my rifle! My social studies teacher loaned me his rifle, brought it to school and gave it o me in the parking lot! never have forgot that teacher. in those days we all had shotguns and rifles in the gun racks in our pickups.
I remember that and NOBODY got shot, no not one!

My first muzzleloader was a used Lyman GPR in .50 cal.

Bought it off the rack at little log cabin gun store in NM.

I don't know where my head was, but I would shoot anything you could patch, and shove down the barrel.

Like, 7.62x39 brass, 6 shot from cut open modern shot shells, and other stupid stuff.

My friend said: "maybe you ought to make sure that thing isn't a shooter before you ruin it ".

So I did some load development, found it was ridiculously accurate, and reconfirmed my good standing in Morons r Us.

That rifle can still outshoot 95% of the centerfires on this planet.

I think I'll have em put it in my casket.

Along about the 11th grade I always had what I needed in the trunk of my 60 chevy, one morning on the way to school decided to go rabbit hunting, My grandparents lived next to the farm I had permission to hunt, it belonged to my school principle, along about 10:30 I heard a tractor coming my way it was the principle in a three piece suit, pulled up along side me and ask how was the hunting, I had 3 in my coat and told him so, he ask if I could get one more the limit and be in school bye lunch time, about 15 mins. after he left shot my 4th rabbit and went back to my grandparents house, pap was in the summer kitchen said the principle stopped by a looking for me, ask me if I had seen Joe (the principle) told him yes. He said he would clean the rabbits and get my a!! to school. Those were the days.

Late Seventies we would drop our shotguns off at the principals on our way to class so we could all go hunting after class.

Mid-seventies...had shop class 8:00-11:00, teacher would allow two or three of us to skip class to squirrel hunt provided we brought some back for him. Oh, and we could bring our guns into the shop to clean them.

I had a fifth grade class in 1973 for my student teaching. We were studying the Civil War so I brought in a Springfield rifle with bayonet, Spencer carbine, Mansfield & Lamb cavalry saber, leather cartridge box, and some grape shot. Kids were excited, my supervising teacher was impressed and the class grades were some of the highest in the school for that semester. Wouldn't be able to do that now...... I had been collecting since I was 12. The Spencer carbine cost me $65 back in 1963. I cut a lot of grass to make that much money!

Too many people talking about guns we don't talk about outside of the Premium Member section so rather than deleting all of the posts, I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back