• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fur moccasins?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Spence,

thx for sharing :thumbsup:

very nice pics

i would like to make this boots for myselfe too
may you can advise me a "how to make it "
or exist there any link where i can find it?

thx and greetings from Germany

Klaus

Guten Tag, Klaus.

I'm sorry, I won't be of much help. It has been almost 20 years since I made those moccasins, almost that long since I made any. I'd have to learn all over again if I wanted to make some. I can tell you that those fur moccasins were made using the regular eastern woodland center-seam pattern, and then an extra sole was sewn on.

Spence

There are lots of "how to" videos on YouTube..
Just type in "center seam mocs"
Being in Germany, you might get different search results that I do.....if you cant find anything let me know and I can send you some direct links.

Good Morning Spence,

thx for your reply.
if your Mocs made for 20 year ago i have to spend my respect for the quality and craftsmanship :thumbsup:
have a nice day

Klaus :v

I have some center seam moc's with a wool liner. I just cut the wool and the leather at the same time and that worked fine.

If you are making center seam mocs, DON'T cut them like the Townsend kit (shows a giant "m" in front of the sides). If you do, when you sew them up, the seam will be below your toes and you will always have wet feet, even when it's just damp out. Instead cut them as a giant "n" so the toe section comes up over the top and is gathered behind the toes. That's what makes a "pucker-toe" center-seam moccasin work so well. It keeps your feet much drier.

I like to use mocs, but as others have said, I cheat too. Mine is not so obvious though. I have to wear orthotics because of a foot/ankle problem I have, so I put those inside my mocs, just like I do for other shoes. So you can't tell my looking that I'm wearing them.

Good news is that it makes walking on gravel and rocky ground much more pleasant. I usually try to avoid gravel anyhow though because it wears the mocs out more quickly.

I also use some Gokey "Indian Waterproof Dressing", which is a beeswax mixture of some kind. It will keep me waterproof for about a day and a half on damp ground, and then I will need to re-treat them or just get wet. Bad news is that I'm not sure it's being made anymore. They still make a leather treatment lotion, but it's not waterproof like the paste was.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

nope and me niether but trying to sew strips to the bottom was a nogo.
ive used sno seal though its a little chemical smelly at first

how did you find the moose leather? i`ve heard that it does not make good leather, or that it is at the least, difficult to make leather from. i`ve not tried it.
where i am going to retire, they just throw hundreds of moose hides away every year.

eggwelder said:
how did you find the moose leather? i`ve heard that it does not make good leather, or that it is at the least, difficult to make leather from. I`ve not tried it.
where i am going to retire, they just throw hundreds of moose hides away every year.
I'm not Spence but I've used a bunch of brain/smoke tanned moose hide and it's some of the best period type leathers available - but my experience is limited only to brain/smoke tan and not commercially tanned hides.
If you're into brain/smoke tanning or know someone who is then I'd definitely get some.

Back