• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Full Metal Pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have come across another interesting topic. There are many surviving wheellock pistols that are completely metal, often copying the form of traditional wood stocked pistols.
32cf46cb-719a-4d52-94f6-4424ed462fe3.jpg

SKD | Online Collection
Screenshot 2023-05-06 152633.jpg

Hermann Historica
95622f6a-7c72-4ae9-909e-870630b63a9b1.jpg

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...al-wheellock-pistol-circa-1-2088-c-b544671932
Z.LoResWheelock2..jpg

Guns of the "Border Reivers." Post 5. A very good Nuremberg all steel wheellock pistol circa 1585.

Does anyone have any insight in how these were made? I assume that they are hollow, with an iron or steel shell that is forge welded closed? The also seem to have some sort of internal barrel tang:
Z.LoResWheelock12.jpg

01738222-9422-4255-a160-7c76ee067b47.jpg

It is my understanding that very small all metal pistols are the final projects of gunsmith apprentices, and not meant for combat:
ark__66008_4095-4I_v0001.jpg

Some of the funkier wheellocks, particularly multishot and combination weapons, seem to have a high ratio of all metal guns:
Wheellock double-barrelled pistol_carbine - Unknown (about 1620).jpg

Wheellock double-barrelled pistol/carbine - Unknown Over an under barrels - Royal Armouries collections
1982.2859 - Double-Barrel Wheellock Pistol.jpg

(I can't remember where I found this one)
ark__66008_30306_v0001.jpg

https://basedescollections.musee-ar...&queryId=e4b05311-0b63-4320-a4a0-19bc9647cb96

Armbr.-Radschloß-Komb.  02a kl.jpg

From the Doge's Palace, in Venice. Image source: Ethnographic Arms & Armour - View Single Post - A 1548 Nuremberg Dagger-grip Over-and-Under Double Wheellock Pistol

Speaking of ergonomics, the Royal Armouries have their own example of one of those boomerang shaped pistols, and I just realized that they are actually relatively small. I assume the funky shape is a compromise to compact the action:
Wheellock pistol (1570).jpg

Wheellock pistol (1570) (1).jpg

Wheellock pistol With Nuremberg Control mark - Royal Armouries collections

Maybe the smiths didn’t have very good stock wood. Or the fancy wood was saved for the kings furniture….

The Philadelphia Museum of Art has a metal wheellock pistol, and have some nice close up images.
1977-167-784av1-pma2017.jpg
1977-167-784av3-ov.jpg

Wheellock Pistol

The second image has some gaps where the lock plate slots into the top of the grip. The gaps show that the body of the pistol is hollow.

I was just at the Wallace collection. Great museum! Their arms collection put the size of a bunch of wheellocks in perspective.

I assumed the double barreled pistols were ridiculously large, but they are actually smaller than a lot of the puffer wheellocks. The guns above them in the display are abnormally large, and the one at the bottom is one of those miniature wheellocks.
FEA8A492-1483-431B-912B-13D481EE8C39.jpeg

While I can see no brazing on the group of Wheellocks . Scots all steel had the joins brazed after first being held together by short rivets in the grip , & the rams horns .
I cant recall specific brazeing on the all steel' Heart Butts ' but it seems probable they where also brazed A late friend used to make them & I examined pistols at a large museum with the eyes of a gunmaker . They paid me, but Ide have paid them ! to work there .
Rudyard

As likley it was a guild thing they seem very fixed on who could make what.
/ Rudyard
That’s a very good point. The society these guns were built in plays a huge role in their design. At first, I thought these guns would be a nightmare to forge, needing 4 hands, but after learning more about guilds and apprentices, that was probably exactly the case, but not an issue. Any major gun maker would have multiple gunsmiths and apprentices, so it would not have been a problem to have multiple people help out with the forging and fitting of a full metal stock.

The huge cavalry pistol in my very first post is actually lighter than the comparable sized Woodstock cavalry pistols in their collection, so if it was no harder to make (given the multi person workshops) there is at least one clear benefit. That could also be why it was a popular design for multi shot/combination weapons. It’s a good way to shave off some weight, to offset the second mechanism.

After learning more about forging, I was wondering if these would not be as practical to make with mild steel. It is my understanding that wrought iron has a much higher natural corrosion resistance and easier to forge weld, which would be much more convenient for a gun with a metal stock.

Last edited:
Wrought iron is easily welded at a lower heat, my old iron gun locks may get a little rust from use, but I just wipe with oil and it comes right off. My modern flintlocks rust and rust if you don’t watch them.

Wrought iron is easily welded at a lower heat, my old iron gun locks may get a little rust from use, but I just wipe with oil and it comes right off. My modern flintlocks rust and rust if you don’t watch them.
I assume this would also mean a wrought iron pistol stock wouldn’t need to be nearly as greasy as a mild steel one?

The only all steel pistol I made was an issue pattern Scottish regimental one after two examples in the Glenbow Museum one by Corbett the other By Petcairn with the help of Elmer Johnston of Mattawa Wash not wrought iron though the originals where . A late friend in UK used to make the bigger rams horn pistols & I engraved them we tried to make steel' heart butts' but these prove difficult to make .He was A Collier at Orgeave pit .Mostly I made wood stocked Lemon butts . it seem even the late ramshorns had some wood stocked . .Key message is nothing stops the determined !.

Regards Rudyard

Back