• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE FS - T/C Hawken .50 *FINAL PRICE REDUCTION - $400 SHIPPED*

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiteeagle58

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have for sale a Thompson Center Hawken in .50 caliber. When I acquired this rifle, it was in pretty rough shape externally, but its saving grace was a shiny, intact bore. The rifle started life in kit form (as evidenced by the “K” serial number and “K” stampings in the barrel channel and lock mortise), and the person who assembled it removed the factory cheek piece from the walnut stock. I’ve been told many shooters prefer this arrangement, as it eliminates or reduces “cheek slap.” The removal was nicely done, and looks like it came from the factory that way. Anyway, the wood has some nice figure and grain, so I hand sanded it and applied four hand-rubbed coats of Birchwood Casey Tru Oil. The brass furniture had some corrosion and scratches, so I hand sanded and polished them. The barrel did not appear to ever have had any finish applied to it, and it had some surface rust and flecking. So, I draw filed it, removing most of the imperfections, but didn’t want to overdo it, so some slight “character marks” are still visible. I then applied three coats of Birchwood Casey Plum Brown to the barrel and tang. I installed a more traditional looking fixed rear sight and blade front sight, but the original modern adjustable sights are also included, should one wish to use those. The lock has some light flecking to the finish, but nothing major. I also installed a new Hot Shot nipple. All of the factory supplied Phillips head screws (ugly and not period correct) were replaced with slotted steel or brass screws, as appropriate. The original ramrod was nicely “candy striped” by the original builder, and so I left it that way. So, with many hours of elbow grease and TLC, it is now much more pleasing to the eye. It’s not perfect, but is a nice looking vintage muzzleloader, and should provide its new owner with many years of enjoyment, whether punching paper or white tails. I'm looking for $450 $425 $400 plus actual shipping cost from 24740. I prefer USPS Money Order (sorry, I don't do PayPal due to their anti 2A stance). Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 20240313_175849.jpg
    20240313_175849.jpg
    627.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240313_141621.jpg
    20240313_141621.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240313_141652.jpg
    20240313_141652.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240310_165725.jpg
    20240310_165725.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240313_141700.jpg
    20240313_141700.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240313_141628_HDR.jpg
    20240313_141628_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240313_141830.jpg
    20240313_141830.jpg
    881.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240313_141836_HDR.jpg
    20240313_141836_HDR.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240313_141630.jpg
    20240313_141630.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have for sale a Thompson Center Hawken in .50 caliber. When I acquired this rifle, it was in pretty rough shape externally, but its saving grace was a shiny, intact bore. The rifle started life in kit form (as evidenced by the “K” serial number and “K” stampings in the barrel channel and lock mortise), and the person who assembled it removed the factory cheek piece from the walnut stock. I’ve been told many shooters prefer this arrangement, as it eliminates or reduces “cheek slap.” The removal was nicely done, and looks like it came from the factory that way. Anyway, the wood has some nice figure and grain, so I hand sanded it and applied four hand-rubbed coats of Birchwood Casey Tru Oil. The brass furniture had some corrosion and scratches, so I hand sanded and polished them. The barrel did not appear to ever have had any finish applied to it, and it had some surface rust and flecking. So, I draw filed it, removing most of the imperfections, but didn’t want to overdo it, so some slight “character marks” are still visible. I then applied three coats of Birchwood Casey Plum Brown to the barrel and tang. I installed a more traditional looking fixed rear sight and blade front sight, but the original modern adjustable sights are also included, should one wish to use those. The lock has some light flecking to the finish, but nothing major. I also installed a new Hot Shot nipple. All of the factory supplied Phillips head screws (ugly and not period correct) were replaced with slotted steel or brass screws, as appropriate. The original ramrod was nicely “candy striped” by the original builder, and so I left it that way. So, with many hours of elbow grease and TLC, it is now much more pleasing to the eye. It’s not perfect, but is a nice looking vintage muzzleloader, and should provide its new owner with many years of enjoyment, whether punching paper or white tails. I'm looking for $450 $425 $400 plus actual shipping cost from 24740. I prefer USPS Money Order (sorry, I don't do PayPal due to their anti 2A stance). Thanks for looking!
Looks really good and it’s priced well. Surprised it’s still available.

I suspect that the stock mods seems to keep guys away. But I think it is something that you might like after you shoot it...
I shot the rifle, and I can tell you it is very comfortable to shoot without the cheekpiece. I didn't think it would make any difference, but it does. The last TC Hawken I had was also a .50, and the "cheekpiece slap" folks refer to on here I just took for granted. This rifle doesn't hammer my high cheekbones.

Latest posts

Back