• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fryed cabbage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
a good camp dish is chopped cabbage sauteed/fryed in the grease from bacon or fat back - all these keep well in cool weather w/out spoiling.
sprinkle w/a bit of coarse grind black pepper.
quite tasty and adds some leafy green to the camp diet.
if the pan has a lid covering the cooking cabbage hastens the process.

Back when "swamp cabbage" (hearts of Palm) were legal to eat- that was the standard drill- fry in bacon fat.

I add onions and garlic to mine.

I also make bubble and squeak, the modern version, for a hearty meal.
Mashed potatoes, chopped cooked cabbage, bacon or ham, salt and pepper fried in butter.

Claude said:
Legal? You can buy it at the grocery store.
Florida state tree :idunno: They were being whacked down as a commercial cash crop, so the state shut it down before the state tree was gone from the state.

You can still buy hears-of-palm at the store, even if you can't harvest the stuff in Florida. :grin:

They are quite tasty, and I like wrapping a thinned, boneless chicken breast around them and baking at 350º for 45 minutes, and serve with Hollandaise sauce.

LD

Sorry, I meant legal to harvest. The only store type we have is in cans from south/centeral America.

Back