• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frustrations with my used TVM

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't matter what the seller told you. What matters is what you have done...your gun, contact TVM, it doesn't take much of your time and you just maybe surprised with the out come. Then again maybe not but you won't know unless you make the effort...

Lakota,
There's certainly something wrong. Mat and Toni don't turn out the quality of work you are describing,and showing,and they have always been exemplory in dealing with their customers. The sight is of little concern as you can file a proper dovetail and get a sight with an oversize base. This looks like someone did a lot of dinking with this rifle before you got it.
Mark

From the looks of the "dovetail, it looks like someone took a hammer and screwdriver to it and just whaled away. All their rifles have the word "Avance" on the barrel---I own three of their rifles one finer than the other (confusing story). >>>>"Doc"

I want to love this rifle I really do.
I dropped them an email. We will see what happens.
IMG_20120820_173155.jpg

Jack Wilson said:
You post an inflammatory title like that because your entire experience is ONE USED gun?
I wonder if you would feel so self righteous if you were the owner of the rifle?

I agree with Swampy about the dovetail.
It was formed with a sharp chisel rather than being milled or filed.

This method of making a dovetail has been in use for well over 150 years and when the sights dovetail fits correctly it will hold the sight in place.

If it was my gun I would probably buy a new rear sight with a slightly larger base and use a 3 corner file to clean up the barrels dovetail so it had a dovetail profile rather than the swaged profile it presently has.
Then, I've built more than a few longrifles so for me this wouldn't be a challenge.
I can understand how it would be a problem for a non-builder though.

The simplest "fix" without filing etc. would be to take a small steel hammer and tap both of the outer edges back down so they aren't sticking up above the top flat of the barrel.
Most likely that will result in your having to tap the rear sight in place from the side just like a real dovetail.

As for the trigger, scroll down in this link to see my answer
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/271861/

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as the pin holes in the barrel lugs, they are supposed to be elongated. This is because the barrel will expand and contract, and the stock may move as well.

To answer the original, inflammatory question, No. There are plenty of TVM guns whose owners are reporting great performance and reliability. I have seen and handled several and the ones I saw and handled were soundly built and should give as reliable service as any. I'm not sure why inflammatory threads like this are allowed, because folks here are not allowed to be rude to or get personal with each other. Imagine Matt is in the room.

If all of their guns were as you say: "over priced trash". They would have been out of business long ago! :idunno: :idunno:

If you are worried about altering the barrel - I always am as barrels are expensive while sights are cheap - you can fit a shim on one or both sides of the rear sight. The legs from old brass paper fasteners work great, as does brass shim stock from a hobby store or machine shop. 1/32" or thinner.

I have a Rossi pump .22 that had crude sights with metric dovetails and I shimmed in a Marbles front and rear. Been in place 20 years of hard aand almost weekly use.

Or, you could pound the existing rear sight base with a flat punchto flatten and widen the base. Screw it u and you're out $8 for a replacement.

There could have been a conflict between the original owner and TVM. I deal with people for a living and sometimes people's personalities just clash. Perhaps you will have better luck with them. Suger, vinegar, flies, etc.

You had it to The Log Cabin Shop? Are you close to there?

Even if TVM will make good on your behalf, you couldn't be served better than by the folks at The Log Cabin Shop and they will likely fix it cheaper than you could ship it back and forth by the time you figure proper packaging/hardcase, etc.

Good Luck, J.D.

No they are not all over priced trash,this one came off gunbroker unfired.... the target says the rest.http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/250927/post/906266/hl//fromsearch/1/#906266 I have an early va 58 cal unfired yet, but she is beautiful sparks great and I won't be a bit amazed if it shoots equally as well as the 40 cal.I had great customer service with Matt and Toni on the rifle off gun broker (advice was great) and that is why I had them build the EV.If you're not up to fixing the rifle I bet they'll help ya :thumbsup: Give 'em a call

Stumpkiller said:
If you are worried about altering the barrel - I always am as barrels are expensive while sights are cheap - you can fit a shim on one or both sides of the rear sight. The legs from old brass paper fasteners work great, as does brass shim stock from a hobby store or machine shop. 1/32" or thinner.

I have a Rossi pump .22 that had crude sights with metric dovetails and I shimmed in a Marbles front and rear. Been in place 20 years of hard aand almost weekly use.

Or, you could pound the existing rear sight base with a flat punchto flatten and widen the base. Screw it u and you're out $8 for a replacement.
This was my first thought because I have or rather had a Rossi Winchester 92 clone and it had the oversized dovetails just like you described. I went to a marbles tang sight and a marbles front sight and put a filler in the rear sight slot and had to shim them in. When the sight fell out on my muzzleloader I thought easy peasy I'll just shim it. There is just no shoulder left on the dovetail to hold the sight down. I am starting to think that I was lied to and that this gun was indeed a kit that some half-wit hacked together.

I just took delivery of my first TVM, and I won't be able to shoot it for a few months, but I can tell you my first impression makes me very happy. Sorry I can't give you any more experience than that right now, but I couldn't be happier with it at this point. I expect she will treat me right in the future. If I walked in the store and picked it up off the rack, I wouldn't have set it back down, thats for sure.

I have a real hard time believing someone in their right mind would sign a barrel he sold as a kit, not knowing how the end product could turn out.
As I understand from some other posts on the subject, TVM surprisingly does not slot their barrel tenons.

Where is roundballs on this one????

Maybe the title of my thread was a little harsh but...

Right after I bought this rifle I injured my ankle while I was at home. I couldnt work my old job anymore. I am not disabled by any means but I kept reinjuring it and was on crutches for almost the better part of a year and it was suggested buy a doctor that I give up on EMS and carrying people up and down stairs to avoid reinjury. I had to go back to school. Slowly but surely my arsenal of firearms began to shrink to the point that it now consists of this TVM and a Ruger LCP. For obvious reasons I am not going to go out and idle an afternoon away plinking with the LCP nor am I going hunting with it. I am still in school and have no disposable income.Out of the half dozen long guns I had the TVM was the one I kept despite the problems I have had with it because it was the one I had always wanted. So before you pile on and judge me for being unhappy and venting over this rifle going out of commission ask yourself how happy you would be if you were in the same situation and your only weapon suitable for recreational shooting and hunting was broke?

Lakota,
I don't know where you are located but if you contact the NMLRA, thay can direct you to a local charter club. I'd bet a dime to a dollar that someone at that club can get you back up and running, and it might only cost you a thank you.
Mark

CrackStock said:
Lakota - Are you anywhere near Mississippi? If so, PM me. I might be able to assist.

CS
Thank you for your kind offer but I live way up in Ohio about 30 miles from the shores of Lake Erie! Student loan disbursement time is coming up here shortly. Hopefully there will be a little left over that I can sneak away with without the wife noticing. Its about a 100 mile round trip from here to The Log Cabin Shop. The rifle may have to go live there for a while unless I could get them to work on it same day.

Back