• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frontier Rangers--Who were they?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of reading an outstanding history book entitled "Bayonets in the Wilderness-Anthony Wayne's Legion in the Old Northwest". It chronicles Mad Anthony Wayne's creation of the Legion in 1791 after the destruction of St. Clair's army south of modern day Ft. Wayne, IN and the campaigns he fought in Ohio/Indiana to defeat the Indian confederation there.
Here's my question for any history afficianado's out there. The book refereneces Frontier Rangers who were under federal employ to the tune of 8 Rangers per western county of Penn. and parts of modern day Ohio to keep tabs on Indian activity. That's about all I got about them out of the book. Does anyone else know of any books out there that delve in to the work and history of Frontier Rangers during this time period?

Sam Brady who lead Brady's Rangers is one that quickly come to mind. Many men unknown to history were also considered rangers. Simon Kenton also held the Ranger title. Rangers do 'Ranging' or being one that would reconnoiter for the enemy, or indians or game. One piece of documentation I read were men that were out 'ranging for buffalo' in Kentucky.
If you were a lead or point man ahead of an 18th century army column gathering info about what is ahead, you could be considered a 'Ranger'. Groups of men that would go out from a fort to gather info for the safety of the fort we also Rangers.
Ohio Rusty >

In one of Allan Eckert books he tells of the rangers and names several of them. It seems the men rotated in and out. Maybe it was "The Dark and Bloody River"?

dark and bloody river (eckert) has quite a bit about the forming of "bradys rangers" and many of their activities. wilderness empire (eckert) has much of the same info concerning the slightly more famous "rogers rangers".

as ive mentioned in other posts about eckerts books the difficulty of retrieving that type of info is it is weaved throughout the narrative, typically 6-700 pages long not counting amplification notes. his books are well indexed so you can find the specific info concerning the rangers by refering to it.

good luck

Man Rusty, you're avatar gives me the willies everytime I see it :)

Just had to let you know :v

Doc

Latest posts

Back