• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frizzen "toe"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before any thought of replacement, does the frizzen toe still hold the frizzen closed enough before springing open to get a good shower of sparks? If it does, all you might want to do is round/smooth the cracked area a little for esthetics.

Of course if the gun is under warranty, then by all means have them fix it for you.

Gus

Before any thought of replacement, does the frizzen toe still hold the frizzen closed enough before springing open to get a good shower of sparks? If it does, all you might want to do is round/smooth the cracked area a little for esthetics.

Of course if the gun is under warranty, then by all means have them fix it for you.

Gus
The frizzen still functions well. Just the upward curve area (toe ?) at the front of the frizzen has broken off. I don't see sign that it was making hard contact with the frizzen spring when the frizzen fully opened, but it broke off none the less. I will probably just replace the frizzen - one less thing to worry about.

The frizzen still functions well. Just the upward curve area (toe ?) at the front of the frizzen has broken off. I don't see sign that it was making hard contact with the frizzen spring when the frizzen fully opened, but it broke off none the less. I will probably just replace the frizzen - one less thing to worry about.
Unless you are skilled in lockwork (including fitting, drilling and the differential heat-treating of the frizzen), I'd send it to someone who is.

Certainly your best bet, you should be able to find a replacement for that lock easily. If not there are plenty of online vendors that carry one for that rifle. Might even want to try Lyman, they may even send you a replacement for free

In my experience, as long as the frizzen stays closed whilst handling or hunting ... and it works like you say, I’d use it as is.

I am hunting Pennsylvania's Flintlock season next week. I did put a new Lyman frizzen on but the fit to the pan was not good, so I reinstalled the other. After the season I will make a trip to either Dixon Muzzleloading or Fort Chambers for their assistance.

Latest posts

Back