• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French matchlocks in canada

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is all I have on that time period in Canada:

1639: Guillaume Hebert of Quebec owned 1 flintlock arquebus, 1 wheelock arquebus, 1 flintlock carbine, a wheellock carbine and 1 flintlock pistol (Gladysz).

1642: Guillaume Couillard had an arquebuse worth 25 £ in 1642 he had two wheel pistols, one common one decorated, one pocket wheel pistol and four flint guns (property of the " Compagnie Générale "). [Snaphaunse sometimes get classified as arquebuse because the clockwork style lock is as complicated. Tourblanche, Frontierfolks/ Colonial Nouvelle France/New France/French Wheelocks? 6-24-10].

1656, Montreal merchant Jacques Testard de la Foret's estate included various fusils (Gladysz).

1657: In the post-mortem inventory of Nicolas Godé, Montréal, November 7, 1657, there were 3 flintlocks. Estimated value: 67 livres for the lot. (Ledoyen)

1657: In the post-mortem inventory of Jean de Saint-Père (notary), Montréal, November 15, 1657, there were 3 flintlocks. Estimated value: 36 livres, 20 livres and 12 livres. (Ledoyen)

1660: Still quite a quantity of mousquets [matchlocks 20%] at Chateau Saint- Louis in Quebec City [vs. fusils - flintlocks 80%] (Bouchard, Museum, p 12).

Have fun,
Doc S

I have seen a photo of a matchlock musket with a lever trigger from a Canadian museum. It was, according to the caption, used by the Regiment Carrignan in 1662. That's fairly late for a matchlock.

Looking at the 20%/80% ratio in the previous comment I'm thinking that the garrison troops got the cheap old matchlocks to march around with on the walls while the field troops got something more functional.

Canute said:
I'm thinking that the garrison troops got the cheap old matchlocks to march around with on the walls while the field troops got something more functional.

Like a hockey stick? :rotf:

Here are some thoughts, not quite Canadian but... LaSalle's-Griffon, the first sailing ship on the upper Great Lakes sailed in Aug of 1679. LaSalle's journals make note of leaving the crew of the Griffon with some matchlock arquebuss. These were probably of French manufacture. If the Griffon site is ever explored, they may still be there. Also, when I can scan, I will post some pics of a French macthlock of the 1630-1650's I made for a gentleman of French, Indian and Canadian ancestory. I made this piece in 1985 so the images are on 35MM film. GS

Here are the pictures of the French matchlock I had referred to on the earlier post. This piece had a Getz 16 gauge barrel of 44" smoothbored. The lock is the bellyed type popular in the 1630-1650s. The stock was of cherry wood with a steep down curve at the butt. The comb is similar to the much later tulle guns. The side plate was an elongated "S" with serpent finials and 2 side nails. The trigger guard is held by 2 screws, one at the front finial and the other at a tab on the post at the rear of the grip rail. This piece was made for a gentleman of French Canadian ancestry dating back to the 17th century. GS
scan0004_zpsa2d39a39.jpg
[/img]

Back