• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frattila Side by Side Percussion Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash Pan Dan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

Two days ago a friend of mine handed me an old percussion shotgun. My first thought was ”˜oh yeah, it’s just another old Belgian side by side import’ thousands of them were imported. A couple of things stood out that made me doubt my original assessment.

It is a side by side 10 gauge with back action locks and 36 inch barrels. The condition is about 20% but the gun is complete. The only markings I can barely discern are on the top rib and are what looks like ”˜Child Frattila’. Before I spend any more time on it I would like to know if anyone has ever seen or heard of such a gun and any history they may know about it. I appreciate any help you can lend.

Dan

I agree with your initial assessment, everything about it sounds like a pretty standard late-19th Century shotgun. 10 gauge was very common at the time, same with the 36 inch barrels and the back action locks. Have you checked the proof marks to confirm that it is Belgian made? It is possible, though unlikely, that it is English. Other than the stamping (or engraving?) on the rib, what is "uncommon" about it? Those markings only represent the vendor, probably here in the US and have nothing to do with the maker.

We really need to know all the markings that you can find on this piece in order to determine the location of the manufacturer.

Is it possible that you have misread the lettering, and that you actually have the word XXXXX Fratelli?

This is Italian for 'Brothers' as in 'The Blues Brothers', and could be part of the maker's name/title.

My $0.02.

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

Thank you for the clarifications. I am slowly removing the gunk off the barrels to see what other markings I can find. I'll try some more cleaning tonight and see what I can come up with from the part of the barrel under the forend.

Okay, I got enough of the built up dirt and grease off to read what little there is on the barrels. Each barrel has, what looks like, a very small 5 peddle flower, then an inch below that there is a three prong crown. The right barrel, in very large characters, has “VII” and on the left breach plug there is a “II”. Also, the name on the top rib is “Chiid Frattila” That is all the markings I can find. I hope you can help me identify this shotgun and if it worth doing anything with it other than a wall hanger.

Thank You,

Dan

I've checked around the few proof mark lists I know of, and I can not see those marks. :idunno:
That it has proof marks is a good thing though, a lot better than having no marks! The Roman numerals may be a date code II, VII, may be 2-7; Feb. of '07 maybe.

The name Hallowellco dot com keeps coming up in my searchs; maybe they can assist you with research.

Back