• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frankenrifle 2; The English-ish Sporting gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robtattoo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I started on this particular build prior to the shorty Frankengun, but just got it finished this afternoon.

It started off with a stock I found at the County dump. I think it may be from a Cabelas sporterized Hawken, but I'm not sure. I pursuaded an Investarms lock into the mortice, without too much hassle, which leads me to believe it's a Lyman/Investarms/Cabelas gun.
The Barrel is another .50cal T/C Hawken I picked up on EBay, minus sights, rib & nipple. I had the Lyman globe sight from another gun & fitted a Skinner rear peep. Track of the Wolf supplied a suitable under rib & thimbles.
The trigger guard is a Lyman Trade rifle. I fitted this simply because it was the nearest thing I could find to the correct pattern, without having to do too much chisel work which, as we've already seen, is NOT my strongest talent! :rotf:

The trigger unit started as a double-set set I replaced with a Davis Deerslayer on my GPR. I removed the set trigger & all associated gubbins, stoned & polished it to within an inch of it's life (along with the lock internals) to produce a creep free, clean breaking, zero overtravel, 2 pound break. It took a little re-inletting & maneuvering of the trigger & guard to get everything lined up, so the trigger wasn't right at the front of the guard. That was actually the toughest part of the entire build!

Again, please forgive my sloppy workmanship. Wood confuses me! I still need to blue the rib & thimbles too.

photobucket-42390-1344293259225.jpg

photobucket-40837-1344293260150.jpg

photobucket-42393-1344293258319.jpg

Once again, the total out of pocket build cost (not including the parts I already had) came in a shade under $100 & from my few shots today, seems like it'll make a FINE gun for the range!

The dump? I thought I waded through some holes to find a deal now and again.

"stoned & polished it to within an inch of it's life (along with the lock internals)"

That can go alooong ways to making a factory gun a fine shooter.

I've always admired the ESR, but never owned one. Your work goes enough in that direction to be really appealing. Well done!

For us newbies out here can you describe "stoned and Polished". I have the exact looking Investarms lock with a double set trigger and I can't stand the way the actions feels when pulling back the hammer or when I squeeze the trigger. I have cleaned the heck out of it and oiled everything but would love to learn where and how to put a stone to it. I love the look of your new gun BTW.

I think you have created a remarkably handsome rifle.

Was all that checkering on the stock when found in the dump or the result of your own Handiwork?

A very graceful look I have seen only on Purdey Shot guns.

Dutch Schoultz

Thank you Dutch :hatsoff:

I wish I could claim the checkering, but alas it was there when I liberated it!

Latest posts

Back