• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fox River Fifty?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokenlaig

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Whilst blundering around the usual pawnshop circuit this weekend, I chanced upon a Traditions "Fox River Fifty". The metal is a funky silver color, but not paint-more like some kind of metal coating. The wood stock is painted black-also from the factory, I believe. The stock is cracked and repaired properly, and the bore is OK, but needs cleaning.
The sling swivel actually screws into a fixture attached to the barrel through the stock, and holds the barrel to the stock. There are no wedges. It's the dangdest thing I've ever seen.
I wsn't going to buy it, but since I did not have a rifle currently, and the shop sold it to me for $25, I couldn't pass it up.
I can find exactly nothing about these little guns on the 'net. Anybody know anything? Good, bad, indifferent?
Even if it's manure, I figure the lock is worth $25 for some other project if nothing else eh? :grin:

Also ran across a TC renegade .50 with a real iffy barrel and nice crack in the stock for $75. Wasn't sure if TC would replace the stock or no (it's cracked just above the where the lock screw goes). That one is still there, but may become mine later this week.
Traditional ML's are practically valueless here unless they are real sharp looking.

"Traditional ML's are practically valueless here unless they are real sharp looking."

Wish I was somewhere you can buy any muzzleloader for $25-$75, even broken ones! The typical well-worn Traditions ML aroung here runs $200 to $300 or even $350. One requiring repair will bring $100 or more.

GrahBear

I run a home for unwanted Traditions...I have them in all shapes and sizes and have paid very few dollars for the lot. I've cleaned them up and now put round balls through bulleyes with them. I've taken two deer with a cheapie Traditons Deerhunter that was practically discarded. I like 'em. They are lightweight, some of 'em fine looking guns

For parts contact Deer Creek Products...they have no website...they are in Waldron Indiana

Brokenlaig said:
I chanced upon a Traditions "Fox River Fifty"....
I can find exactly nothing about these little guns on the 'net. Anybody know anything? Good, bad, indifferent?

I bought my son a youth model Fox River Fifty about 7-8 years ago from The Sportsman's Guide. They had .50 & .54 Youth and Adult models for $89 & $99 on closeout. The stocks they had available were in traditional brown hardwood only and came with a brown plastic ramrod. I believe that these guns were what remained from the inventory of the original Gander Mountain Co. catalog. I've seen a couple for sale in local shops and also a black stocked .54 up for auction on-line. However, it wasn't silver coated.
Traditions sometimes produces special runs of guns for various catalog companies and even makes some prototypes of their "experiements" available at their company store here in CT. The silver may have been a run of nickel electro plated "Fox River's", and they are still well known for selling nickel guns even up until today. I know that they had at least once produced a rifle with a teflon coated barrel interior for one catalog company. Sometimes when the retailer doesn't like the prototype or production run, Traditions will find someone else to market the guns. So, if you do have one in nickel, I couldn't tell you how common it was.
Our Youth model was overall a very reliable and fun plinking gun out to about 50 yards, and its 24" 1 in 48" twist barrel was fairly well made. The deep blueing on our lock and lock plate stayed very shiny and proved to be quite durable.
A nice used one could cost $75 or more in a shop, depending on the condition.

Laig TC won't replace a Kit Stock. If serial no has a K in front of no,it is a kit.There will also have aK in bottom of barrel channel. Dilly

I think the statememt " If serial no has a K in front of no,it is a kit." might have been meant to read "If the serial number has a K in front of the number, it is a kit".

Sometimes the abbreviations confuse poor old Zonie. No hard feelings I hope, Boar-dilly? :)

Latest posts

Back