• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fox River .50cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunfreak25

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A gunshop here has a Fox River .50 cal percussion rifle, it's a good lookin little gun and he wants $135 for it, does anyone know the quality of these guns? I believe they are made in Spain then imported here for the Traditions rifle company.
I don't own any blackpowder weapons, nor have I shot a BP firearm before. I've been mostly into the surplus bug with mosins, mausers, and everything else you can think of. Thanks all! -GF25

I own one, purchased at an auction about a year ago.

Yes, it's a Traditions model, made in Spain by Ardesa, I believe.

It's a nice inexpensive rifle, decent quality on a fairly small frame. Almost a youth rifle. Certainly a carbine length barrel (23"). 1 in 48" twist. Lightweight and easy to carry. It seems accurate but frankly I've not tried to optimize a load for it yet so I really couldn't vouch for it one way or the other.

I'd keep loads to 80 grains ffg or below. The light weight would result in some recoil issues at heavier loads.

$135 is a bit high unless it's NIB. I'd say $80-$100 for a very good condition gun.

P1150027.jpg

P1150041.jpg

I think several of the Traditions guns are mirror images of the old CVA's, I would agree with the pricing of $ 75-100 tops in very good condition.

Pork Chop said:
Sure looks like the wood stocked Bobcat that CVA used to sell...

55-4114.jpg

....that you now see listed on sites, ads, dealer racks, ect for 130 to 165 for the bobcat, and more times than not, its the (black plastic) stock.

One thing to bear in mind....
we all have paid too much for something at some time. That is our business, not others! if you can live with what you pay for something, great!

for a first gun, I would want something with a tad longer barrel and a little more overall weight
and I would expect to pay 150 upward for a used gun of lower end quality.Heck, even cva hawkens are being listed now at over 200 used. Granted I say "listed". this is in ads, web sites, local gun club boards ect. How many are moving? dont know!

Wow thanks for the quick replies guys! I posted this at the surplusrifleforum and nobody even knew what I was talking about.

As for the price, heck I thought $135 was good but i'm glad you all told me otherwise, I don't mind paying $35 more than what it's really worth but I'll see if he'll drop to $120. He usually is pretty solid on his pricing.

So whats the recoil on these little guns like with a normal load? The funny thing is the rear sight is fixed, for what distance though? I'm hoping the rifle can keep shots in within a paperplate sized target at 100 yards.

Well I think I am going to pass on the Fox River rifle, the guy who i'd be getting it from is really not someone who's gunshop i'd like to support anymore. The guy tries to spoonfeed me bullcrap by the payload and I'd just rather not shop there anymore.

I completely forgot I had a New England 12 guage shotgun hiding in the gunsafe. Instead I will be sending the receiver off to H&R, they are going to install a .50 cal, 26 inch blued muzzloading barrel onto it. It's called a Huntsman barrel. I hear great things about them. Does anyone have some experience with the Huntsman H&R muzzleloaders? The neat thing is it comes with much better sights, and I might add a simple scope later, and the gun already has a 2 pound trigger.

Um,

What sort of ignition system will this new gun have?

If it were me I think I would check out some of the auction sites for a first muzzleloader. There are some pretty good quality traditional-styled guns available for $200 or less...

Good luck with it -

Spot

Here's some correspondence I recently had with Traditions Customer Service about the Fox River model.

ME:

There is a used Traditions "Fox River" model sidehammer 50 caliber muzzleloader advertised on a local web site that I am considering buying,
but can't find any info about it on your web site or elsewhere. Can you tell me when these guns were made, who made them, and the approximate MSRP of the gun?

Any help appreciated.

REPLY:

The Fox River Fifty was an exclusive model that we imported back in 1995 for Gander Mountain. At that time GM sold them for approx. $99 for the blued barrel, beech wood model. They were manufactured by Ardesa, the Spanish firearm manufacturer that makes all of our muzzleloading long rifles and single shot pistols.

Thank you for your interest in Traditions muzzleloading rifles. If we can assist you further in the future, please let us know.

Customer Service
Traditions

We bought one of these for my wife about 14 years ago. She got her first deer with it and we still have it... Good basic small starter rifle at the time.

Well I think I am going to pass on the Fox River rifle, the guy who i'd be getting it from is really not someone who's gunshop i'd like to support anymore. The guy tries to spoonfeed me bullcrap by the payload and I'd just rather not shop there anymore.

Good idea. If you are looking for something similar, the CVA bobcat looks almost identical. I have seen more than one used at pawnshops for $50-60 in decent condition. The trouble is that Mr. Spoonfeed probably will find someone willing to buy it for $135 sooner or later, and he probably knows it. P.T. Barnum was a rich man in his day....

:grin:

My brother bought 4 of the Fox River 50. when Gander went under for $50 bucks each. One was a 54. They work great and at that price you could not go worng. That was years ago and the cost of everything has gone up. They work well for a cheap gun. I live about 7 or 8 miles from Wilmot Wi where Gander was located. I miss that old store. Mark

Well i've heard good things about the Huntsman muzzloading rifles, so I'm going with one of them, actually it's just the .50 barrel I need, I already have the shotgun. You have to ship your action and forend to them with $85 and they will install, headspace, and testfire the new barrel.
I actually don't know what the ignition system on it would be, my guess is 209 primers, if it's some other primer that's fine as my local shop has a loads of different bullets, powders, patches, primers and caps.

It is an in-line ignition system and probably does use 209 primers. Other than the fact that it loads at the front, it isn't a traditional muzzleloader.

One unique characteristic of the Fox River Fifty is the method of attaching the barrel. It doesn't use a wedge pin like most other sidelocks. The sling stud is threaded directly to the barrel, and there's a washer underneath it to secure it to the forestock. Otherwise it has a conventional hooked breech.

I am aware it's an inline rifle.I'm going to call the guy later and see if he will take a few off the price tag, because I really do preffer the traditional type muzzloaders compared to inlines.

The reason you're not getting many responses about the Huntsman is that forum rules do not allow the discussion of modern (in-line) muzzleloaders. Questions about the Fox River rifle--if you buy it--will get a lot more responses. Thankfully, this forum is an oasis of tradition in a world of that increasingly cares little for our heritage. Good luck with your purchase.

Back