• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Folding rear sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm still debating on the calibre of my next flintlock rifle. I really like the idea of a 62, and for good knockdown power on large game it feels like the best bet. Have not ruled out a 58 either.

Anyhow, one of the "downsides" I've read about for a 62 rifle is its pumpkin throwing trajectory. Has anyone circumvented this with folding rear sights, say a standard 50 yard sight and a folding 120yd sight would seem to be an easy way to get around that. Distances of zero are obviously generalised.

Curious to see what others have done in this space?

Yes, it works well and was fairly common on jaegers. This is the sight on mine. Parts suppliers have them, although they are often back ordered.
16781070304011797115460117902195.jpg

I went through the same decision process and like the energy/knock-down power of the 58 cal. Having shot mostly 45-50 cal rifle for the last 40 years or so, of late, I have been shooting a 58cal rifle loaded to a moderate 1400FPS with a .570 cal LRB. Recoil is very manageable. I have observed little(< 1 inch) , if any difference in trajectory out to 100-120 yards when compared to the higher velocity. Accuracy is comparable. The improved ballistic coefficient of the larger diameter LRB offsets the velocity advantage of the lesser diameter LRB’s. With the the 58’s 5” drop(@50 yard zero, I see little advantage of a folding/adjustable rear open sight given one uses a properly proportioned primitive V rear and front blade to adjust the point of impact at these relatively short distances. Just me…preferring to maintain the aesthetics, durability, and simplicity of the rifle styles I shoot.

I have a .58 flintlock with a 42" barrel, and It shoots fairly flat out to 100 yards. 70 grains of 3F with a .562 ball and a .018 patch gives me the same results as Art Caputo stated above. I sighted it in for 2" high at 50 yards, and it's 3" low at 100. After that it drops like.... well, like a lead ball. At 150 yards it's around 18" low. It's a 100 yard load at the most; but that's ok, I have 75 yard eyes. I've taken three deer with my .58, and it's a real thumper. Having said that, I still entertain the idea of a .62 rifle. But I've always been a firm believer in caliber and bullet weight over velocity, even in cartridge arms.

Thanks for the replies, I guess the other consideration for me is the game I hunt.

A red or sambar stag that is not far off the size of an elk at 100 yards quartering to is going to benefit from a heavy ball that can punch through bone and really rock them. I won't take shots I'm not comfortable with but I also understand that in the field with limited opportunities and in the country I hunt scenarios like this are not unrealistic.

Back