• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fly front breeches pattern

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know if they got the fly front,but you might try Dixie Gun Works. Their catalog is online and they have beaucoup patterns. Cuzzin Jack

A couple of patterns that I have used for fly front breeches are from Eagle's View and J.P. Ryan. I know there are others out there but finding a good fly front pattern can be difficult.

Warning - J.P. Ryan patterns can be a bit hard to understand unless you are somewhat experienced with sewing.

I have been told that the Rocking Horse Farm pattern is the easiest to use. I bought one then found a ready made pair cheap and never used it--what size do you need?

Thanks for the responses. I'm size 36-38, by the way (depending upon the individual britches). The only two patterns for Fly fronts that I have been able to find so far are Rocking Horse Farms, and Tailor's Guide. Nobody else seems to do them, only fall fronts. I'm going to get these two patterns and see what I can come up with.

I have some fairly heavy linen canvas to use. About as heavy as "tow" but not quite as coarse and "see through". I figure I'll dye it blue. Either with logwood or maybe....

Anybody ever done any indigo dyeing? I understand it is rather more involved than dyeing with anything else.

I think my pattern (unused) is 36-38, I'll have to check--can't remember if I bought it before or after I lost weight! If it is 36-38 you are welcome to it. I'll let you know.

My pattern says 34-40 (so your 36-38 is right in the middle). If you want it send me your address by private message and I'll send it to you.

You can buy costume patterns at Joanne and Hancock fabrics. They are very realistic and quite complicated, just like the originals.

Regards
Loyd Shindelbower
Loveland Colorado

Let us know how they turn out.
I tried sewing a pair once....once, that's why I wear leggings and a breechcloth. :grin:

Good luck.

Back