• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fluted Army Sings Sweetly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alden

Cannon
Reaction score
Anyone else fall for one of these Uberti fluted .44 Colt 1860 Army revolvers? I did. I have originals but unsure if I have any repros and the lines of this version really just sang to me. Yup, guns is art. No expert on this I, though some may have existed, I suppose it's much of a fantasy piece but that's OK.

Any experiences with, thoughts on, these specifically?

I have never shot a 60 or owned a BP fluted. That said I believe it looks pretty cool and had I not failed(won) again on auction for a TC .45 hawkin(ish) I would be tempted to look into the fluted thing myself. NICE :thumbsup:

It is not a fantasy piece as there were quite a number of early Army's made with a full fluted cylinder, a 4 screw frame and an 8" barrel. Below approximately serial number 3500 they could also be found with a 7.5" barrel and some early 1860's also used the Navy grip frame/trigger guard. I expect a 4 screw 7.5" full fluted model with a Navy grip would be quite a find. The US Navy took delivery of about 900 full fluted Armies early in the war.

I have a Belgian Colt 1860 Army with the fluted cylinder. It seems very light compared to a regular 1860 Army because of the slimmed down cylinder.

If your refering to the cylinder with the flutes running the entire length, that's the way Colt made the 1860 Army fluted cylinders.

The 1861 Navy and 1862 Police were the only Colt cap & ball pistols with partially fluted cylinders.

Yeah, I got one a couple years ago and now I'm having it tuned up, or "Goonified" by "The Goon" in Georgia. I loved the look of it the minute I saw it.

Thanks guys. A fluted Police (repro anyway) has always been in my future Zonie -- another graceful arm.

If your offered a 1862 Police with a silver plated trigger guard and grip strap (like the originals), call me.

It was very likely stolen off of my display wall.

Colt originally made the fluted M.1860's for U.S. government contracts and were issued out to Federal cavalry regiments.They'd originally experimentd doing this on a very few 3rd Model Dragoons in an attempt to reduce wight. Interestingly enough, Colt Black Powder Arms duplicated both in it's 2nd Generation series. The weight does make a difference in the M.1860s.

Sir-In some of my 38 yr teaching material, I cut out an article that said Wade Hampton nad a chamber blow on his colt and wrote Colt and asked if flueting could possibly more equalize cylinder pressure so there would not be only one thin cyl. wall as on round ones. Have no idea if any truth to this or even if it would work- If this seems bull just ignore it. His pistol was a dragoon and supposedly happene djust pre war. Article said Colt sent him a new 60-would be interesting to know if he had a flueted one. Gave my material to a new teacher upon retirement

Yes you are indeed correct , there was some thoughts getting around that fluting stopped cylinders bursting , but it turned out that a switch to steel from Firth cured the issue :) :thumbsup:

This is what I have that is somewhat close to what you're talking about.

IMG_20150731_170533765_zpsfeirc50y.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Funny thing is I'm not even an open-top Colt fan. But it's hard to walk, and especially look, away from some.

My first handgun was an Armi San Marco Colt 1861 Navy. What a beauty. This one is special too including all the right lines in all the right places.

Interestingly I'm going thru the same thing with a woman in my office... LOL

Back