• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Pistol identity.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
F0E42B79-F3F6-4329-AE6A-96C7C0DB0531.jpeg

Attachments

• 5E2BD8D3-F964-4FF7-8C87-3855ABAAB469.jpeg
    5E2BD8D3-F964-4FF7-8C87-3855ABAAB469.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 101
  • CD22304E-5850-4AD6-9534-F439A8C208F4.jpeg
    CD22304E-5850-4AD6-9534-F439A8C208F4.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 21591D46-DF1C-4699-951D-178AE7AEBE9F.jpeg
    21591D46-DF1C-4699-951D-178AE7AEBE9F.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 96
  • 3CA5ACCA-31A1-47FF-94EA-805429200C4C.jpeg
    3CA5ACCA-31A1-47FF-94EA-805429200C4C.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 75BF1A6A-039A-464E-B6E9-615A055FF601.jpeg
    75BF1A6A-039A-464E-B6E9-615A055FF601.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 93
It’s difficult to figure this out whether it’s a reproduction or something real. There’s plenty of wear on much of assembly and the barrel is old and worn on the inside plus someone applied shellac or something overall so the markings are hard to read. I cannot find any proof markings and it appears to be slightly larger than 50 caliber like my old Fowler

Most likely English or Belgian, if you find proofs they will tell the story. It had a sliding safety, now missing, that engaged the slot in the back of the cock. It's an original.
Thanks Hawkeye! What is a general name for this type of pistol? It’s in central Virginia and I plan on buying this. I’m trying to get a ballpark on value and date of manufacture. I own an old 1700s cabin in the middle of my early 1800s home and want an authentic period piece. Thank a lot for your help. I’ve seen the term “box lock” would that apply to this boxy handle?

It's a box lock as the mechanism is enclosed in the frame which is a box. It is not a screw barrel or Queen Anne pistol. Condition determines price and that one is far from pristine, does the mechanism work? Sorry I can't help with a value. It would look nice on the cabin wall in a felt lined shadow box.

It's a box lock as the mechanism is enclosed in the frame which is a box. It is not a screw barrel or Queen Anne pistol. Condition determines price and that one is far from pristine, does the mechanism work? Sorry I can't help with a value. It would look nice on the cabin wall in a felt lined shadow box.
Thanks again. It is full function and I imagine capable of fire with a flint and an undersized ball. It is obviously smooth bore and a bit pitted but lightly. He is asking 250 which I think is great. Would you imagine 1700s ?

By the way, do you recommend a flintlock book I should buy as I’m planning on selling all my modern weapons and building a flintlock collection of basic workingman Virginia guns.

Should I remove the shellac and reveal the engraving? I know everyone says leave it alone but that condition is a poor reflection on the guns workmanship. Thoughts?
If it were mine, I would certainly clean it up; it's not worth a fortune as an antique, so why not? Just be careful to do no furthur damage.

I would remove the shellac from the metal. I doubt that it has any ties to the working history of the gun and likely was applied to preserve it as a display item. The wood looks kind of touchy, I probably would leave that as is unless I had it in hand to evaluate it. I know a lot of folks would say leave it alone, you'll hurt its value. First, it isn't a high dollar piece so it's questionable how much it'll hurt it's value by stripping grandmaw's varnish job; second, it's been apart at least once and by a less than professional smith (see screw slots): third, it's yours to do with as you please. I seem to sense you would like to strip it and that might reveal some markings that will help identify its origins. I don't have any idea what was on both sides of the grip near the bottom but I feel it was on the gun when it was built.

Does anyone know what this themed “Ears of Corn” suggests?? Still having a tough time reading the signature and there’s no proof markings. Belgian?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back