• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock muzzleloaders will rule again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read this book, or watch the movie.
the%2Broad.jpg

" Be prepared" is a double edged sword. Yes, have food sources, water, a plan etc. but also be prepared to watch your loved ones suffer and die, one by one; mainly children , elderly, and the sick.

Living like "the 1800's" is NOT the same as a total collapse of society. You can't boy scout or country boy your way out of a hoard of desperate starving worst of the worst humans. You may last much longer than 95% of the people but your day will come sooner or later.

EMP taking down the power grid is largely a myth.
You might want to rethink your statement...
Today's announcement of "nuclear device in orbit to take out satellites", is exactly an EMP device that will disable all satellites upon detonation unless properly shielded.
Besides emitting radiation to our upper atmosphere.

You might want to rethink your statement...
Today's announcement of "nuclear device in orbit to take out satellites", is exactly an EMP device that will disable all satellites upon detonation unless properly shielded.
Besides emitting radiation to our upper atmosphere.
I’ve worked in the transformer industry for 25 years, ain’t gonna happen. At the worst, shut down for 2 weeks. It can’t get the whole nation at once, some places will still be ok. I’m more concerned about small groups sabotaging sub stations, that will do more damage. This EMP stuff was hyped to sell survival rations and other stuff!

If he's got a flintlock and a heap of lead.

If the semi trucks in the United States stopped rolling, before the month was over 80% of the population of the US would be dead.
This was put together by a think tank of sociologist, scientist , civil engineers etc stating that within about 3 weeks 80% of the population will be dead
If California had an official ban on the use of fossil fuel engines being used in their state, then 1/50 th of our problems would be solved, with the caveat that USA would lose a heck of a lot of civilian port and Naval facilities.

Living like our great great grandfathers did in the year 1800 will not be fun?
I would rather have that then what we are seeing today. Especially if I still lived in AK. I'd much rather live out what time have left trying to survive, in peace and away from all the craziness from people.

Living in the lower 48 would be a nightmare.

After what we experienced during the plandemic, with so many people fighting in stores and basically going bonkers over just about anything and everything, I'll gladly take my chances in the wilderness away from nutty humans. Cities are already war zones as it is. I can't imagine how bad it would be not if, but when something major comes down.

As long as I had supplies, I'd still take my percussions over a flintlock especially during those times.

Last edited:
I can’t believe I’m contributing to this conversation…

Has anyone watched “The Walking Dead”? I know it’s fictional but I think how the survivors live would be correct.

There are kinds of people. Those that try to maintain some kind of decency towards each other, and those that do whatever they want because there is no one to stop them.

The founder of the company I work for was stationed at the Panama Canal during Ww2. They all ate at a local place, the best home cooked meals! They all jumped in a truck to go for lunch, the MP’s were out front. “ Off limits, guys!” Out back were several oil drums full of CAT hides and heads!

As long as we're discussing science fiction, once read a series of books that had soldiers in a 1700's equivalent civilization shooting half inch bore flintlocks rifled for heavy bullets. What a fine thing!

I’ve worked in the transformer industry for 25 years, ain’t gonna happen. At the worst, shut down for 2 weeks. It can’t get the whole nation at once, some places will still be ok. I’m more concerned about small groups sabotaging sub stations, that will do more damage. This EMP stuff was hyped to sell survival rations and other stuff!
There's a lot more than transformers involved. Everything is microprocessors, and those are what will fry.

If he's got a flintlock and a heap of lead.

If the semi trucks in the United States stopped rolling, before the month was over 80% of the population of the US would be dead.
This was put together by a think tank of sociologist, scientist , civil engineers etc stating that within about 3 weeks 80% of the population will be dead

I hear one can acquire a taste for dog meat. Cat, not so much.
There is also the Al Packer solution........My stepmother from the pacific rim said her ancestors referred to that meal as long pig............

And they can be changed out in a reasonable amount of time. More pressing matters to worry about than an EMP. Like my lunch!😀
What can be changed, the processors? With what? Software and firmware is all done in digital drives. Zap that and you just have modern junk to look at. And even if they still work, if you need them in any quantity, how are you going to get them?

The way I see it, all the speculation about survival will be a moot point, there are over 100 nuke plants in the US, they can only cool the reactors for so long on the generator backup power. The control room is probably shielded from an emp attack but the periphery accessory equipment, all of the breaker boxes and digital sensing equipment is more than likely out in the weather.

When these plants start going critical, they will make Chernobyl look like a tiny firecracker in comparison, everyone downwind for hundreds if not thousands of miles will be goners.

I worked in a coal fired generating plant for 30 years and know how one fried relay can shut the whole unit down.

The way I see it, all the speculation about survival will be a moot point, there are over 100 nuke plants in the US, they can only cool the reactors for so long on the generator backup power. The control room is probably shielded from an emp attack but the periphery accessory equipment, all of the breaker boxes and digital sensing equipment is more than likely out in the weather.

When these plants start going critical, they will make Chernobyl look like a tiny firecracker in comparison, everyone downwind for hundreds if not thousands of miles will be goners.

I worked in a coal fired generating plant for 30 years and know how one fried relay can shut the whole unit down.
Yeah, look at what happened with the loss of some instrumentation feeds at Brown's Ferry. Ouch!

Back