• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Miquelet repair turned into a new project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrey22

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I was asked to make for flintlock miquelet mainspring and frizzen spring
MiqueletLock1-1.jpg

MiqueletLock1-2.jpg

It's a very classy work, bravo, I don't know if it's your usual way, but it's really perfect. A piece coming from Mr. Perfect's workbench....
Without wanting to abuse, could you say something about steel and heat treatment: I have a Parker of London pistol lock to redo and I dare not start the main spring...

Sorry my bad English.
Good book - Simplified V-Springs. A Gun craftsmanship Manual by Kit Ravenshear.

I use old leaf spring resor for car to make my springs.
To make a frizzen, I use an old flat file.

First, I heat the workpieces to 825°C (1100°K) and let it cool slowly for 6-8 hours.
After that, the metal can be processed with machines and files.
I harden the springs in liquid engine oil. I heat the part up 810°C (1083°K) and cool it sharply in oil.
I harden the frizzen in a 15% solution of edible salt in water. Heating temperature 810°C (1083°K)
Hardened parts have to be softened to a useful hardness by heating t° specified temperatures.
I heat the springs to 300°C (573°K), frizzen - 200°C (473°K) and let it cool slowly to room temperature.

Attachments

• MiqueletLock1-15.jpg
    MiqueletLock1-15.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 107
Well, your English is not poorest than mine, believe me. When I write something I think always at the guy asking himself what I'm talking about and does not understand what I mean.
One time here somebody tell me: here nobody is talking/writing English...

Anyway, I'll thank you for the recipe I have all what is needed (steel) at home.

Kindest regards.

Erwan.

For the people in America who don't use Celsius to measure temperature,
825°C = 1517°F.
810°C = 1490°F.
300°C = 572°F and 200°C = 392°F.

Happy New Year!

Especially for this Flintlock Miquelet, I came up with and made a Mainspring Vise.
MiqueletLock1-16.jpg

I prepared a video instruction for disassembling the lock for the customer

Hi Andre.
What a wonderful job ! Basically a complete new lock. LOL Outstanding workmanship. My hat is off to you sir. Wish you lived near me. LOL
I especially noted the clever way you came up with a mainspring vice. As I'm sure you know, the current mainspring vices on the market are designed for use on the typical French style flintlocks we are familiar with. But they don't work with most miquelet locks. So, the vice you made is very clever. But I think it would only work with this particular lock plate (or one very similar) (?)
The reason I mention this is there is a fellow shooter who lives an hour away from me who makes mainspring vices similar to the ones sold today. I brought him a number of different miquelet locks to look at, both European and Ottoman styles. We "think" we came up with one design that could be used with all the various miquelet locks. I think he will be ready to make the first prototype by next month.
Anyway, any opinion you have on these vices would be most appreciated.
Rick

Thank you for the appreciation of my work.
I am very interested to see your universal vice for locks miquelet.
This miquelet is Turkish style. After him I made another mikelet lock - Circassian or Caucasian flintlock.
This will be the next story.

Latest posts

Back