• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock guns with no vent liners

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I envision your description and knowing that an Allen set screw has a hexagon key hole part way thru it*, you first measure the depth of the key hole.

You then add 1/16" to this value and file the end opposite the key hole to end up with an overall length that is the same as this larger value.

This would be followed by drilling a 1/16" hole thru the remaining wall at the bottom of the Allen key hole.

Sound right? :)

* a 1/4-28 UNF set screw has a 1/8" hexagon drive, 1/8 minimum deep.
If the set screw drive hole is 5/32 (.1563) deep, that plus 1/16" (.0625) wall thickness would result in a vent plug that is .1563 + .0625 = .2188 or 7/32 long.

I don't strictly buy into 1/16" being to small!

That is logical thinking.
We often get too hung up on numbers here. Good shooting does not come from the keyboard. It comes from shooting.
If a 1/16" touch hole doesn't work, it is too small.
If a 1/16" touch hole gives reliable ignition it is not too small.

Feltwad,
I have a Smoothbore Fusil that had slow ignition plus frequent pan flashes in spite of picking. I drilled out the touch hole to 5/64 and it helped but still slow. I made up a new touch hole liner with a hex screw like you described and what a difference. Out of 40 shots today very fast ignition and not a single pan flash in spite of no picking. Thanks for the tip.

Rifleman1776 said:
I don't strictly buy into 1/16" being to small!

That is logical thinking.
We often get too hung up on numbers here. Good shooting does not come from the keyboard. It comes from shooting.
If a 1/16" touch hole doesn't work, it is too small.
If a 1/16" touch hole gives reliable ignition it is not too small.
:thumbsup:
Empirical evidence trumps trying to diagnose problems at a distance. If it doesn't work, try something else until it does work...

I haven't been on this forum as of late. Trying to get caught up. I find it interesting that the original post here has to do with not using a touch hole liner, just a hole thru the barrel. I was involved with a similar discussion years ago and I am afraid that I upset more then a few folks. I've built a flintlock rifle and fowler over 20 years ago and went without liners mostly due to not being properly equipped to install a liner and it would add cost to the builds, albeit small. I accepted the challenge of simply having a hole drilled and challenged those with liners on historical correctness. Yes, there were liners back in the day. But I don't know of any Southern Mountain rifles built with liners outside of contemporary ones. I am not saying that anybody is wrong for having liners. Those with liners are missing out on the "true" experience of a traditional flintlock along with the challenge. I have had "flash in the pans" as recently as 2 weeks ago. It had mostly to do with not picking the hole after 2 shots. In a hunting situation I would have been much more careful.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion on this matter. But, in support of use of liners, I am quite sure we shoot our rifles, and smoothies, a lot more than was done back in the day. At a match it is reasonable that many will shoot from 20 to 100 rounds in a day. A lot of members here shoot regularly in their back yard. Even with modern steels, that much shooting can/will enlarge a touch hole to where a liner is called for safety and reliability reasons. Use or not, yer choice, do yer own thang. :v

Latest posts

Back