• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock-Fowling Guns, circa 1720

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
A superb pair of Flintlock-Fowling Guns, circa 1720, stocks in Spanish style, locks in Dutch style, caliber 16 mm, length 145 cm.
The locks are inside marked IC. The construction of the chiselled steel-spring bracket is made in one piece with the pan. The guns have brass saddle back-sights on a pierced band engraved with foliage.The stocks have fluted butts and are nice carved.
Provenance: The Armoury of Their Serene Highnesses the Prinses zu Salm-Reifferscheidt - Dyck, sold by Christie's London 15 april 1992. Lot 80.
The Guns are marked with the family-ownership mark consisting a number below addorsed salmon from the Salm arms. This guns are numbered 20 and 21.
244627_detail2_max.jpg

244627_max.jpg

244627_detail3_max.jpg

244627_detail4_max.jpg

244627_detail5_max.jpg

244627_detail6_max.jpg

244627_detail7_max.jpg

244627_detail8_max.jpg

:hatsoff:

Good looking guns. The frizzens look like they were used some, but the guns are spotless.

Many Klatch

Were rear sights common on guns meant for true fowling useage?

Adds a whole new meaning to the concept of a stepped wrist!!

Thanks for the Pics!

Beautiful guns...and great photos! In the 6th picture there appear to be holes in the underside of the stocks; were they for swivel buttons? Emery

"Yep, like that they were, and only in Europe"
Neat, I thought they might be hunting guns for ball use, looks like these put the halfstock idea back pretty far as well.

"Beautiful guns...and great photos! In the 6th picture there appear to be holes in the underside of the stocks; were they for swivel buttons? Emery"

What about the piece ahead of the tg that the tag is fastened to is it part of a sling swivil?

The swivels are in front of the triggerguards. Could be the owner at some time had put swivels on the butts.

The Spanish style was very popular. I have probably seen more Spanish style guns made in Germany/Austria than I have seen them from Spain! The big U groove "butterfly" sight was also very popular. A Spanish/Italian thing.

I have a nice lightweight German bird gun done in Spanish style from sometime in the early 18th century. Mine's not nearly so fancy! www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Original Flintlocks/SpanishStyle

Halfstocks go WAY back. It is SOP for Italian, German, and many Spanish fowling guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back