• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flint lock pistol carry position??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am planning on packing a flintlock pistol along when deer season opens this year. I wonder how best to rig up some sort of sling or try and modify a bag I carry to hold the pistol?? I dress mountian man style (with leather mocs/leggings, breachcloth-belt) and have a sling for my 54 cal long rifle, powder horn(LH), two bags.Any ideas on how to carry 12"swamped barreled Kentucky pistol?? Thanks ahead of time for any help-- Lee :idunno:

thanks Jon D. I hunt very rough country, and have to climb very steep terrain. The barrel lenght and a belt hook would leave the pistol hanging down to low and would interfer with my legs while climbing. I am more interested in possibly a sling or maybe a modified shooting bag arrangement.any other ideas?? examples?

hellerodsyaho said:
I am planning on packing a flintlock pistol along when deer season opens this year. I wonder how best to rig up some sort of sling or try and modify a bag I carry to hold the pistol?? I dress mountian man style (with leather mocs/leggings, breachcloth-belt) and have a sling for my 54 cal long rifle, powder horn(LH), two bags.Any ideas on how to carry 12"swamped barreled Kentucky pistol?? Thanks ahead of time for any help-- Lee :idunno:
I carry my pistol is a shoulder holster for eather flint or percession.
A modified Baldric

DSCF5059.jpg

There are several "socket" type holsters you can attach to your belt. Most have significant rake to allow a long barreled pistol to be carried on your off side with the butt forward and the barrel pointed slightly below horizontal. This is about the only way to draw a long barreled pistol.

If you carry the pistol on your strong side with the muzzle pointed nearly straight down (similar to modern pistol holsters), you may not be able to lift your shoulder far enough to get it out.

Since you will be hunting in rugged terrain, where you could stumble or catch the pistol on something, I would not prime the pan.

If you choose to carry it loaded and primed, that's your choice, but I would personally not do this. I carry my flint pistol unprimed, with the pan open and cock all the way forward.

Before loading it, half-cock it and be certain the flint does not touch the frizzen, and be sure the holster covers the trigger.

I wonder how reliable it would be after the priming powder gets jostled around in the pan for a few hours?

Greenmtnboy great pics of your dogs,they look happy and well cared for!! thank you for your feedback
Wet Willie, I am trying to stay away from a holster if possible, I was thinking more of a sling or trying to incorporate a large bag/holster combo so that what ever system I use the pistol isn't on my belt getting hung up on brush and vines, etc. I need to keep a clean exterior for rough country and be as streamline as possible, if you catch my drift.I broke a ram rod last deer season after my second shot while reloading for a third shot that was "thank God" wasn't necesary. This is the reason for the possibility of the pistol carry, gun failure( and not the best shot placement)

I understand that the Highlanders carried their Scotch pistols under their left arm using a separate strap for the belthook. Think it has possibilities under your jacket or outer coat??? :thumbsup: GrampaJ in NC

Grampa J-- I am interested in any set-up for my pistol. I am not sure what the Highlanders used for their pistols from your description. Could you tell me in more detail or tell me where to look for some more information?? thanks Lee

The Highlanders used the often-called "Scotch Pistol" that was iron framed, using no wood on the piece. They used a belt hook on the opposite side from the cock and frizzen. For pix see Dixie catalog. I've also seen artwork that suggested the pistol was hung from a leather strap around the neck and under the left arm with the pistol's distinctive butt observable under the left lapel.Hope this helps. GrampaJ in NC

Aaarh!

blackbeard.jpg

of course, this is not "mountain man style" by any means. (other 18th century images of Blackbeard show different shoulder strap arrangements, and some show pouch-type holsters on the straps, rather than just loops)

There are early 19th century pistol holsters that were just leather loops on a belt that the pistol was stuck through, and there are some conventional type folded over leather holsters for flintlock and percussion pistols. On the whole, though, the belt hook would definitely have been the more common method of carrying (or just sticking the whole pistol through the belt/sash). :wink:

grnmtnboy - fine photo. that is one great pistol holster. The best carry position I would say.

Back