• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flat carriage springs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdman

62 Cal.
Reaction score
came across some light weight I'm guessing carriage sprins, several bolted together one atop the other, now after dismantleing them they have a bit of a curve to them, was wondering what might be the best way to straighten them out flat to use for several projects in mind but not lose the temper(I guess).Was thinking on makeing a froe, maybe a short chopper type sword machete , maybe a few spear heads n such by cutting n grinding carefully, the curve has sorta got me stumpped though, any suggestions? they are almost 1/4" thick n not really rusted all that bad for as old as they are. Thanks guys
:confused: :idunno:

I have seen many froe with some curvature in them. These are not sophisticated tools. They were hand made with what materials were available. For machete, that's another thang.
All I know about heating and treating spring steel is if ye do it wrong ye got a mess. Can't help there.

Just make a big fire and put them in. Leave them in there until the fire has burned away and cooled down. At this point the steel will be annealed and quite soft. You can bend it straight, file it, drill it, make whatever you want. Then to re harden, start another fire and place the piece in until its bright red hot. Touch a magnet to the hot steel, if it doesn't stick, the steel is at critical temperature and ready for quenching(hardening). Simply submerge the area you want hardened into the oil and wait for it to stop boiling. I find sump oil works well. At this point the steel will be very hard. Test it by running a file over the steel, it shouldn't cut in but glass off. Now the steel is also brittle at this point so you'll have to temper it. Tempering removes some hardness but gives it back some springiness. Rub back the steel with some sand paper so its shiny and heat the steel slowly with a blow torch or in an oven. For knives i heat the steel until it takes on a yellow colour, swords and machetes a purple or blue(loses more hardness but bends and flexes better) Hope this helps.

You will need to anneal them, and after straightening, it would be good to heat them again to a red heat a few times to stress relieve them from however you choose to straighten.

:hatsoff: :bow: :grin: thanks guys, that should help get things rolling come a bit warmer weather HAHAHA

I am now on the lookout for used leaf springs! Sounds like another project to keep me from doing that "honey-do" list!

I'm going to get some myself probably from the junk yard. I decided to try and make a tomahawk from one of the leafs along with some other spring steel needs I keep coming up with. MD

:haha: :rotf: why you cantankerous ol geezer just wait til Jburg or dixions, i'll poke you square in the nose, soon as I find a ladder or stump tall enough to git up on so I can get up there, :rotf: :rotf: how you doing ol man? thanks bobby I needed a good giggle, sorta hurten this morning
:slap: :stir: :)

Back