• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash channel cloges up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian45662

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have this antique SXS percussion SG that I really like shooting. There is only one problem. After about 7 or 8 round I have to really clean out the flash channel on the right side barrel. It becomes so full of crud it will not fire after 7 or 8 rounds. I can shoot the left barrel with no problems all day long. Any way to fix this?

My first guess was your swabbing and loading habits. But, with only one barrel clogging that is probably not the case.
I suggest you remove the nipple, clean the barrel completely then drop a bore light down there to take a look.

Maybe guage the good side channel with small drills and compare to the other side!

It could have ancient crud in the bad side. Maybe a carefull drilling would clear it!

Do check the npples also!

Brits.

I will try that. Nipples are new. The ones that were on it were battered pretty bad.

I had the same trouble with one of my pieces. The crude from caps can close down a channel quick! When I looked in there it looked like steel and was so tough a pick could not get it out. I ended up taking a punch and small mallet to it one night with extreme caution. Ended up after 1 or 2 chips there was a 1/8" fire channel going down into the barrel!!! USE CAUTION with punches on that stuff, don't go swinging your Estwing framing hammer at it!

Back