• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fishtail fowler non indian gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Couple years ago i had sell my leonard day fishtail fowler search for another one to replace it
Anyone here have leonard days contact info or any other source besides the indian guns
Or the rifle shop
Thanks in advance

Thanks buddy i getthe ball rollen on it
Now anyone biult or shooting the matchlock the rifle shop offers

I just picked up my new fishtail matchlock caliver from Leonard Day at his shop in Westhampton MA. Very pleasant guy to talk with.

I got a 54 caliber smoothbore in his standard design. A friend of mine has one of Leonard's standard .62 calivers, which shoots fine, but it's a little light in the muzzle for my taste. The added barrel thickness in the 54 makes it hang like a rock on a wire. Beautiful feel. I had Leonard put a 1/4" tall front sight on it because the usual low sight is subject to mirage.

I fired my first four shots (offhand) from it yesterday - .535 ball, .010 yellow prelubed patch, 70 grains 3F - at 25 yards. All four were inside the 3" black bull, two in what would be the x-ring, touching. I think I like it.

In case I have to state it clearly: I totally recommend Leonard Day's work.

Yes i agree my first gun he made for me i had to sell to out food on the table and pay sum bills
He's one heck of nice gent over the phone as well and he said he make me a copy of the one i had sell now the waitfor chirstmas morning feeling

Hi Buzz. Just out of curiosity, was your first Fishtail a Matchlock or an English Flintlock?

Canute: Good shoot'n !!!!

Thanks, Rick. :hatsoff:

I believe Leonard Day makes the "Fishtail" stock in both a Matchlock or English/Jacobian Lock variation? I might be wrong?
If so, he did not mention in his first Post which lock style. Rick Thanks. :hatsoff:

I know what it was because I bought it. Len doesn't technically make it either way but can. ...guessing about two decades ago Len retroactively converted my first one for both kinds of locks -- they're interchangeable -- I was the guinea pig. It/they was/were the standard firearm for a colonial militia reenacting unit I was the Safety Officer for...

Ricky i could swung either way match or rock i ended up going rock but once this one done i be having match done as well

Hi Wulf,
I like to make my own too.
earlyfowlerbuttlockside2.jpg

dave

What type of English lock do you have on your musket? I was thinking of asking Mr. Day to build a Type 1 lock. It looks so primitive.

Loran, I have a matchlock, not an English lock. Primitive R Us.

The stock/barrel/hardware style of my piece is exactly like the one with the dog lock pictured above in Ricky's post. The lock plate is a long narrow rectangle, though.

Warning: Once you burn hemp, flint will never again be quite as good.

Canute said:
Loran, I have a matchlock, not an English lock. Primitive R Us.
Warning: Once you burn hemp, flint will never again be quite as good.
You sound like Teleoceras and his "Slow match forever"! Remember on one of the other sites, one of the guys who deer hunts with a matchlock noted he put a bit of anise oil in his mix when treating match stock to improve the odor of burning slow match. Never heard how it worked out for him but can't be worse than some of the other odors two-leggers carry around with them. :wink:

Well, Wes/Tex, let's face it, none of us are into this because of a concern for efficiency. P.G. Wodehouse once wrote, "An adventure is an inconvenience properly viewed. An inconvenience is an adventure improperly viewed."

There's nothing quite as inconvenient as slow match, therefore....

Remember reading an account from the English Civil War about one town who lost ll the cord supporting all their mattresses when the army moseyed through the streets and desupported all the beds! :wink: :haha: Life's tough when the match lockers visit! :rotf:

Back