• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time shooting a handgonne!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renovato

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I finally got to shoot my handgonne today. It's a .75 caliber and it's very muzzle heavy. Recoil wasn't bad until I got into the 60 grain and up range. Mostly I shot at 35-40 grains with cornmeal to fill up the rest of the chamber.

I learned a few things as I went along, such as it's important to cover the vent while ramming the ball or enough powder blows out that it makes the shots very inconsistent. I also learned that if I paid close attention to the point of aim when it discharged, I could achieve some semblance of accuracy with enough practice. I had trouble getting them on a piece of paper, but I'm going out again tomorrow to play around some more. Looks like I might get a target in for the contest yet! :)

I can see how someone can become rather accurate with one if they practice enough. Before I left, I plinked a couple rounds at a soda can on the ground at 25 yards, and both times I left a trench within 4 inches of the can.

Some time I'd like to order some cannon fuse and see if that makes it easier to aim. I found it very difficult to concentrate on the target and try to find the vent with the linstock at the same time.

The things are fun! I can see myself in the market soon for a smaller, lighter handgonne.

Plink,
I shot today for the first time also. I was using cannon fuse and it really did make it easy to hold and get on target.
This really reminds me of traditional archery. The more consistant you hold the better it shoots.

Craig

I wish I had thought ahead of time and ordered fuse. I didn't know if it was allowed or not for the contest so I decided to shoot with the linstock. That's definately a skill all it's own. Most of my misses were due to trying to aim and spot the tiny vent at the same time.

I can see a couple modifications I'm going to make right away. One is to open up a little crater at the vent to hold prime and make a bigger target for the match. The other is to put some weight at the end of the tiller to try and get it to balance better. Those were my biggest sticking points.

It was a comedy of errors. I'd prime, go retrieve the linstock from where I had it sticking in the ground, spill my prime trying to shoulder it. Then I'd go to reprime, then retrieve the linstock, only to find the match had burned back and needed adjusted, then have to reprime after spilling my prime while adjusting the match, etc. I spent more time laughing and cussing than I did shooting! :rotf:

Still sounds like ya had a good time. I think I'll stick to the fuse,
I wondered if when it went off if the rope would get damaged by the air exiting the touch hole?
Craig

I was wondering about the match too. The vent is pretty large. All it did was blacken the match a bit though. It didn't even blow the cherry off.

I get these bell shaped center drills from a vender at work. I drill all my vent holes with these for that reason. The opening is about 1/4" and the hole is 1/8". I think Enco might carry them? I'd have to look.

Wes

That is what i used on mine. The centerdrills are meant to create a precision point to start a hole but as you say work great for touch holes
Craig

The center drills I have are different from regular drills. They are bell shaped. Not the 30 degrees or whatever they are. I can post a picture if needed?

Wes

Back