• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First succesful Barktan Deerskin Leather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Soultz

32 Cal
Reaction score
My first completed barktan hide. I made several mistakes along the way but I learned and the next one should be even better.

I've got the tanning aspect pretty well figured out its the finishing/currying that'll need to be learned. In history currying was a specialized trade. Tanners would usually transport their tanned skins to currier shops to finish the hides.

Fyi, I missed the lime and dehairing step in the slide show.

Overall the leather feel is nice and pliable. Would be suitable for a bag. The neck and rump area would be really nice for knife sheaths or moccasin soles.

Attachments

• 20240420_082314.jpg
    20240420_082314.jpg
    886.4 KB · Views: 3
  • YouCut_20240420_084827768.mp4
    49.4 MB
Matt, well deserved. What bark did you use?
White oak bark. Some I was able to get fresh and some I got from a local lumber mill that only works white oak. Lumber mill bark is not ideal. For my area it takes about 40# of bark Chopped to tan a hide "quickly". So much bark. I plan on making a small bark mill in the future. I want to really crush the bark well. Maybe a old blender or grist mill. The old book I read say the bark should be about the same size and a kernel of corn or smaller. Chopping by hand to that small would be terrible for anyone's elbow joints. Lol gotta keep my body healthy so when i get older I'm not in a wheel chair.

Attachments

• 20240405_115053.jpg
    20240405_115053.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
My first completed barktan hide. I made several mistakes along the way but I learned and the next one should be even better.

I've got the tanning aspect pretty well figured out its the finishing/currying that'll need to be learned. In history currying was a specialized trade. Tanners would usually transport their tanned skins to currier shops to finish the hides.

Fyi, I missed the lime and dehairing step in the slide show.

Overall the leather feel is nice and pliable. Would be suitable for a bag. The neck and rump area would be really nice for knife sheaths or moccasin soles.
Proof hard work pays off very nice job đź‘Ť.

Back