• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shotgun232

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to BP and I am slowly building my kit. I have one rifle, a Cabelas Hawken percussion cap in 50 cal. I just started work on my shooting bag, which will be made out of some brain tan deer that I made from last seasons deer. I also may add some beaver felt for effect. :eek:ff
I am wondering what I should do for my powder horn, i.e. should I buy or make one. I would like to not spend more than $30 on the whole deal and from what I have seen most of the powder horn in that price range are roughly finished to say the least.
Also do the cork/wooden stopper fall out when in the field? it is my goal to hunt with this gear, in Northern MN.
Just would like some ideas on what I should do for those of you who have made your own, buy or make?
Thanks,
Mike

Dixie and TOW both have good serviceable horns for very reasonable prices. You might consider buying one and using it until you get time and then carve or scrimshaw designs on it.

Geo. T.

Also do the cork/wooden stopper fall out when in the field? it is my goal to hunt with this gear, in Northern MN.

I wouldn't use cork. Too fragile. Use a wood fiddle peg (tapered) or whittle one yourself. No fear for durability. If you can use a wood stock safely you can use a powder horn in the same environment.

I made this one from a raw cow horn I purchased locally and the wood end plug was from Dixie; as was the tip plug. Scraped it smooth with pieces of broken window glass. Total cost: about $20

IM000584.jpg

wow- Stumpy's horn looks pretty nice! ... I would offer you a buff horn I have in the works, but I can't promise it in any sort of timely manner - -still need to turn the but plug and carve/whittle a stopper.

you shouldn't use cork- -it will break up and fall out ... very bad juju in the middle of a hunt!

if you want to make your own horn, you can check out any one of the free tutorials here on this site, but be forewarned ... once you make your first one, your feet will be turned down that path ... then you'll get Sibley's book from Track of the Wolf
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/76/1/BOOK-R18CPH

and then all is lost ...

good luck with your project!

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay away from the cheap imported powder horns, as they are literally junk and WON'T keep your powder dry! __ Save up a little and buy you a quality powder horn kit from here:http://www.powderhornsandmore.com/ ___ John and Linda Shorb knows what you want and experience powder horn people!

Rick

That looks more expensive than my rifle........
I think I will probably just make one, but with some threaded brass in place of the wood peg, for security.

is it necessary to "round" the end of the horn? I would assume so, thus how is this done? as this is the only thing I am unsure about.
Thanks,
Mike

"Round" as in the opening for the wood plug? The opening you can shape by soaking the horn in hot water (boil the water, take it off the heat and then immerse the horn) and pushing it down on a tapered wood plug (fancy method) or a suitable glass bottle, tapered travel mug, etc.

Note - if you are working and the horn cools too much DO NOT think microwaving it for a shot will soften it up again. Blew a hole in a nice double-curl horn that way. The entire date rectangle here is a patch with a countersunk/rabbitted border and rivets made of copper. Plug is pine, pegs are hawthorn thorns and the "ink" is blackpowder & boiled linseed oil rubbed in needle scratched scrimshaw. And then beetles chewed it up! I stopped making horns about then.

IM000587.jpg

I know its not the one your are showing off but I really like that small horn. Could your tell us a little about it?

Stumpkiller said:
Or, you could send a private message to Rick/Horner 75 and for pleasantly little get a heirloom horn that is a joy to own and use. ;-)

DSCN0140.jpg

DSCN0143.jpg

DSCN0145.jpg

DSCN0139.jpg

Horner 75 (Rick) made that for me when I asked for a small, flat priming horn. That's my hunting carry - a horn that holds half-a-pound of powder for 35 to 40 shots and a small priming flask. I have always enjoyed making my own gear - but I have got to the point where I like gear that has memories or reminds me of good folks. Almost without exception what I buy is better than I had made, anyway. Gotta have something to put on the trade blanket. ;-)

DSCN0144.jpg

That is very nice. I will have to put that on my gotta have list. When I can afford it :doh:

I recommend you make your own, The base plug can be a water proof fit by simply cutting and sanding to a "near fit" then baking both the horn a wooden plug at 250 degrees F for about and hour. This will soften the horn and shrink the wood. Then quickly rub the plug and inside of the horn with beeswax and press the plug into the horn. The wooden or antler "plug" on the small end can be made secure by drilling and taping the horn tip for a 5/16 course thread & filling the threads with beeswax. and using a tapered plug. The threads on the horn will grip the plug enough to prevent it from falling out, yet allow it to be easily removed by a slight twist. Also you should use a light cord to fasten the plug to the horn so you don't drop it. Satisfaction is knowing you made it yourself, just as most of the pioneers did.

Back