• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First deer of the season!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalejrfan308

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I got this buck last Saturday in NC. It is our muzzleloader season right now. I got to my spot at 6:25am and he started coming in at 6:30! I found where he was bedded down just over the ridge. I was lucky I didn't spook him walking in. When I first saw him, he was just a siloutte. Thankfully he took enough time getting to me that I had enough light to see my front sight! He stopped about 60 yards from me and I fired. He was kinda facing me and I shot him in the left side of the chest. The ball got a piece of his heart and one lung before exiting. He ran and I heard a big crash. I still wasn't sure if I had hit him with the smoke and low light. I waited til about 8:00 in case another deer came through since it was so early. I went to where he was standing and found a spot of blood! Then I looked and there was a very heavy blood trail leading away from the scene. I followed it about 100 yards and there he was!! I was using my .62 cal. smoothbore with a .60 roundball and 70 grains of FFF powder. This was also the first hunt in my new sleeved weskit that I just finished. It is all hand-sewn from wool with linen lining. Man, I love this way of hunting! :grin:

5pt1.jpg

5ptr1.jpg

Great work!!! Nice deer and a good outfit too................watch yer top knot...........

Good looking deer! a big :thumbsup: to ya! Looks like he is a nice size one too! I'll be hunting period clothes this year also.

Latest posts

Back