• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crmyers

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Think I'm gona try the Colonial long rifle kit from Track for my first build. Anybody think I would be crazy to make it a hooked breech? So far all of my guns have this and I can't imagine cleaning one without removing the barrel. :hmm:

I would not recommend it. Longrifle barrels support the forestock, as opposed to the stock supporting the barrel.

A weak barrel connection, i.e. the reletively weak connection at the hook breech, could stress the forestock and eventually cause problems.

As J.D. said in a fullstock the barrel supports the foreend. and if properly built there is no need to remove the barrel. The cleaning takes no longer to do , and may even be less, as you don't have to disassemble then reassemble the gun. No lost barrel keys. :blah: The only thing extra is a little care in the cleaning process. Generally you seal the barrel/foreend with something like beeswax, and also the barrel/lock intersection when you build the rifle. There are even some special tools to help you from getting the crud on the stock. My recomendation for what it's worth is don't do it.

Bill

I started with nothing, and still have most of it!

BP,
Good advice from the boys, but I must be missing something. I clean three of my own made flinters by taking the barrel out, and no hooked breech. I use keys on two and just pins on one. No problem. I like to remove the wedges, and tang screw, and then hold the rifle upsidedown over a padded bench with the barrel on the pad. Then I pull the stock up so I don't break the thin wood next to the barrel flats. Put back is in reverse order.
Flintlocks Forever,
Lar :thumbsup:

My flint squirrel LR { no hooked breech } has keys in lieu of pins and after the tang screw in removed, the bbl falls out. This LR was built in 1981 and hasn't incurred any damage from the many bbl removals. All the LRs built lately have pins and are cleaned w/o bbl removal and this also works out fine.....Fred

Latest posts

Back