• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First attempt at blueing!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky5042

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All
Here are a few pics of my first attempt at blueing :) see what you think!
Before
Cannon12-1.jpg

After
Cannonblue-ing1.jpg

Cannonblue-ing2.jpg

Cannonblue-ing.jpg

Rick

Hi
Thanks guys :)
I used Abbey gun solutions, Blu Gel!
Its a cold blueing method!
The bottle says apply a little Abbey blu gel with a clean cloth, leave for 30 seconds and rinse off with cold water!
It took me longer than 30 seconds to coat the whole cannon! and the first layer wasn't great!
So I repeated the process 4 times leaving the gel on for a few minutes and the end result is what you see in the pics :)
Personally I think it looks good :) and because its a cold blue I can patch up any scratches marks as and when needed :)
Regards

Rick

Even though its cold blue I like to apply it to warm metal, it seems to take better and give it several applications.... once done and washed oil liberally..... You cannon is coming along nicely!

Beautiful job. I have blued a gun on more than one occasion and only one time did I try hot bluing. Only one time and never again. Too dangerous. Once I have my barrels either blued or browned, I like to put them out in the summer sun for an hour or so to get nice and warm and then rub them down with oil. I let the oil set on the surface in the sun for a while and then buff it off with a clean rag. After that, I just keep a very light coat of oil on them and have no rust problems.

Hi
The last couple of times I rinsed the gel off with hot tap water, which helped dry it out before the next coat :)
The tuf glide oil I use works perfectly in protecting and lubricating my firearms :)

Rick

Think he meant to say..."That there's purtier 'en a speckled pup under a red wagon!" (Texan for 'right nice'!) :wink: :rotf:

Figuring out "Heidi Ya'll" means hello to more than one person in Texan can be a bit confusing! We have our own language!! :thumbsup: :haha:

IF you should come to visit "God's Country", you'll have to also learn the difference between "ya'll" & "all ya'll".

"Ya'll" meaning "ONE PERSON" or at most 3-4.

Otoh, "All ya'll" is "the collective Texican plural" for "everyone within shouting distance".

Note: "Texican" is the OFFICIAL spelling of the citizens of Texas, by act of The Texas Republic's Congress in 1838, as the law said that "Texican rhymes with more words, when composing poetry than Texan does."
(Other than MEXICAN & LEXICON, can you think of any such words?)

yours, satx

Never heard of Abbey's till now, but I have used Birchwood's Super Blue a couple times. Gives great results on rough finishes but mixed results on high polished areas (in my experience). I've taken to using ferric chloride to darken white metal lately. Works like a charm, and I can mix up a batch super cheap (just be sure to give anything you use it on a good bath in a mixture of water and baking soda to stop the etching process before you start oiling it). :hatsoff:

Hi
I would love to visit/live in gods country :)
My cannon (tube) is 14" overall with a 12" smooth bore with a 10mm back bored chamber in case I load without powder! the rear of the cannon is 2 1/4"
The cannon is based on an old iron side cannon.
Good to know thanks musketeer :)
Yes for now the trunions have to stay that length! iv made the carriage out of quiet thick wood to allow for the length of the trunions, if I choose to cut them down apparently I will need to get it re proofed!
I think iv answered ya'll :)

Rick

Back