• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fired The Re-bored Navy Arms Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rifle: Navy Arms Hurrlcane Hawken
Powder: 80 grains of Black MZ
Primer: Remington #11

Bought this .50 caliber Navy Arms rifle several years ago. The fast twist wouldn't shoot round balls worth hoot. Never found a conical that shot well either. Last month i sent the barrel to Mr. Bobby Hoyt to be re-bored to .54 caliber. The rifling twist rate is one turn in 56 inches with rounded grooves.

Fired the rifle at my range yesterday .

Yep, dry balled the first round. Pulled the nipple and dribbled powder into the flame channel, re-installed the nipple, capped and fired. The ball struck the the upper right corner of the cardboard.

First two rounds were widely spaced. Opened a new can of powder and fired and marked one round. Fired three more rounds into a four shot group.

IoFO9Fjl.jpg

oOJUFdpl.jpg

The small holes were previously made by a not so accurate .22 magnum.

This is my new stalking rifle. Love to sneak/crawl up and put round balls in hogs ears. :p

Last edited:
Rifle: Navy Arms Hurrlcane Hawken
Powder: 80 grains of Black MZ
Primer: Remington #11

Bought this .50 caliber Navy Arms rifle several years ago. The fast twist wouldn't shoot round balls worth hoot. Never found a conical that shot well either. Last month i sent the barrel to Mr. Bobby Hoyt to be re-bored to .54 caliber. The rifling twist rate is one turn in 56 inches with rounded grooves.

Fired the rifle at my range yesterday .

Yep, dry balled the first round. Pulled the nipple and dribbled powder into the flame channel, re-installed the nipple, capped and fired. The ball struck the the upper right corner of the cardboard.

First two rounds were widely spaced. Opened a new can of powder and fired and marked one round. Fired three more rounds into a four shot group.

IoFO9Fjl.jpg

oOJUFdpl.jpg

The small holes were previously made by a not so accurate .22 magnum.

This is my new stalking rifle. Love to sneak/crawl up and put round balls in hogs ears. :p
Sweet nothings… like… “good night sweet pork.” 😜

It's a great shooter.
Yes… I was apprehensive for nothing. I have a few Hoyt rifled barrels but nothing that was lined and then bored and rifled. Should have known not to doubt the master. I now have another Hoyt lined barrel. A fast twist .45… it’s a good shooter as well haven’t shot it as much yet.

Back