• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fire safety

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquirrelsaurusR

45 Cal.
Reaction score
When using stones to build a ring or grill support for your campfire, how do you know which type should not be used for this purpose?

Good Question! Most any stone will shatter or explode if it has a lot of water in it. I would never use stones from the creek bed....or dug up from under the soil. I try to get the ones laying out in the open on the ground. Porous ones will naturally hold more water than the tighter grained ones. Avoid any you think might be chert or flint based...it's like putting a hand grenade in your firepit. If I am building a new firepit, after placing the rocks around it I like to put wood between the stone and me to act as a shock absorber just in case I have gathered the wrong ones. After going through a good fire and not cracking or exploding I feel much safer with them.

At's a dang shame though...shore dinna do much for conversation....kinda wham bam thankeemaam!

I try to get the ones laying out in the open on the ground.

The best ones come from your neighbor's fire pit when he's not there. You can pick up some good iron work and flatware at the same time.
icon_skull.gif

(Just kidding . . . I only take the firewood).

Watch out for sandstone. They hold large amounts of water and explode when they get hot. Years ago when I was young and stupid (now I am old and stupid) I set up a ring like that and it was every man for himself when they started going off. Rocks flying everywhere.
Like the other post read, get the solid looking ones laying out on the ground, not porous ones that look like they may hold moisture. :m2c:

Ha! Here in Southern California, we would beg for rocks that retained water! PC fires here are contained in cut-off 55 gallon drums, or else!

Measured at 4 PM today at work (I'm a firefighter): 98 degrees and 3% humidity. :eek:

WOW! In the northeast the we have asbestos forests. Forest fires are not the same concern here. I think our forest rangers do more in the Rockies than the Adirondacks.

:crackup: :crackup::sorry:I'll trade you some water soaked coquina rocks for your 3% humidity.

:what: :huh: From Water and Hurricane flooded Florida... :rolleyes: :cry: :curse: :youcrazy: :says:

Back