• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished Lancaster build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, my! Breatless... in awe... Seriously, that rifle is such a work of art, I had 3 reactions:
1. It's so unerring beaytiful, as I stared at her lines, I began drooling out both sides o' me mouth and near 'bout wet me britches!
2. I wanted to throw that crippled piece of junque out in the driveway
(the one I bought for a King's Ransom from a lad who shall not be named here again), and run over it repeatedly with my truck, but, having no truck, wanted to go out and BUY a truck just so's I COULD run over it. But then,
3. Noting that Russsnapperhead had built his Mastrpiece wrong-side-outwards and bass ackwards, I relented on 1 & 2 and decided to make peace with my Ugly Duckling.
- LongJnSilver -

"The grass is always greener--'till you take a bite." - ConfuciusView attachment 68767

longjnsilver your words are hilarious and too kind. Your rifle is a thing of beauty, no need to get the truck out. really impressed with the patchbox work, wonderful lines and awesome piece of wood. Wish I would have see yours earlier. I’m excited to get mine out and see if it will shoot as well. Cheers!

Where did you learn to carve? If that is your first time, bravo! I can't bring myself to do anything but the basic necessities on a rifle.
Those panels are extremely wide, but the rest is excellent!

i learned to carve from books and practice. Having proper carving tools helps also. I have a really good muzzleloader book from David Price that has great pictures and carving steps. i will work on the wide panels next project. Next is burning some powder and see if she will shoot. Cheers!

In nautical terms port is left. You were correct in your question as the patch box is on the left (port) side.
To answer, the shooters face rests on the right side with a lefty gun. Thus the lock and patch box are both on the same side.
Walk

In nautical terms port is left. You were correct in your question as the patch box is on the left (port) side.
To answer, the shooters face rests on the right side with a lefty gun. Thus the lock and patch box are both on the same side.
Walk
Walk

My original post was incorrect, the patch box is indeed on the starboard, right side , correct and traditional for a right hand shooter. For a left hand shooter shooter it follows that the reverse would be true, i.e, patch box on leftside of stock opposite the shooters cheek.

buzz

My original post was incorrect, the patch box is indeed on the starboard, right side , correct and traditional for a right hand shooter. For a left hand shooter shooter it follows that the reverse would be true, i.e, patch box on leftside of stock opposite the shooters cheek.

buzz
I’m sorry then. I was confused as to which gun you’re asking about. I thought the discussion was in relation to the OP’s posting.
My apologies.
Walk

Last edited:
Walk
Larboard!!!! Port is an abomination dreamed up by ships with engine rooms

Back