• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally Shot the New Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About 4 or 5 years ago I screwed up by cross threading the nipple into the drum on an inherited T/C 50 caliber Hawkin. This was a kit gun from the early 80s that I loving completed in my buddy's honor a few years prior. Local gunsmith didn't have the proper tap for the drum and suggested I send it back to T/C, now owned by S&W. Frustration turned to complete disgust when they "trashed" the original browned barrel and sent back one they found laying around with the building. It was blued and with the easy loading barrel feature. The nipple wouldn't even line up. I was near fit to be to tied.
After carefully tapping the removed hammer with a plastic mallet it would at least line up. In the safe it went not to be touched, until Saturday, that is.
I wasn't happy how the Blue Ridge threw a round ball last January in my homicidal effort to kill a young buck. The deer died quickly but I've been musing ever since. You know what I mean. Being completely out of Maxihunters meant that for the first time in 32 years of Mzlding I would fire a RB out of a Thompson Center with a 1/48 twist. Alright, I can be open to new adventures.
When the first two shots at 50 yards nestled in so close to each other a grin started to lift the corners of my lips. By the end of the session I could confidently say this rifle will accompany me this coming MZ season in the Buckeye state. The foul taste of S&W's swap has left my mouth. This Hawkin has been redeemed, and in my eyes now a valuable member of my mzlding family.

THBailey, it is 65 grains of Geox 3f, a cast rb from the same friend whom I inherited the rifle from and old TC patches that I got in a Hodge podge box trade 20 years ago with TC bore butter I melted in them.
I am pretty sure a Lee RB / REAL bullet combo mold was what Ken used. I may have to pick one of those up when the supply runs short.

Back