• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally learning to shoot my smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The 3-4 other times I've tried shooting this 16 ga. smoothbore, I haven't been able to hit a barn door from inside the barn. I'd tried both different patching and putting a bare ball over half a cushion wad, both without success. Yesterday, however, thanks to ChuckPa's suggestion, I tried 65 gr. of FFFg, 1/3 of a cushion wad, and the .648" ball patched w/ .020" ticking. I was shooting at about 15 yards, and I was amazed when I got 5 out of 5 on a 8x11" paper, pretty much to point of aim.

P7270784.jpg

P7270785.jpg

No, I wasn't aiming at the cup, but at King George himself. This isn't great shooting for an expert, I know, but given what I'd been getting before, it's a dramatic improvement for me!

I found that if I "crawled" my cheek as far forward as possible on the stock, I could pretty much get a consistent sight picture and hit. :) :)

Well, it's a start at least. Now a few hundred more rounds, and I might get somewhere! :wink:

Nice looking gun. Thats pretty much what I found that my gun liked (12 ga), 1/2 of a lubed cushioned wad, 82 gr of powder and a .715 ball wrapped in .015 patch. Before that she was all over the place.

Hi colmoultrie!

I know how difficult it is to get used to a smoothie. I tested around with my .54 original smoothie until I was able to something. Meanwhile i'm able to hit a hand target at 25 yds with three shots three times. I use a .520 PRB, 75 grs Wano PP, 0,20mm lubed patch and a.54 bore button.

BTW where can I get this nice target?

Regards

Kirrmeister

I'm glad you're getting it sorted out. That smoothbore is just too nice looking not to shoot and fully enjoy it.
I'm sure next time you'll do even better.

Sounds like you are on the right track, things will likley improve quickly now, that is a very nice piece of wood on that gun, what is the barrel length?

Somebody had a pile of them at our club. I think they were left over from a BP shoot years ago ( I think the target says " '78 " on the bottom,so I wouldn't be able to tell you where to get more, but if you have access to a printer, I think I could scan you a JPEG. Remind me via PM if I don't send you a pic in the next few days.

Freunde und Kollegen sollen einander behilflich sein! :grin:

Hang in there. With my 20 gage it has taken the better part of a year to become consistent. I can now compete quite well with rifled guns up to 50 yds. Not beat them, but get their respect. I use 70 grs of FFF, a .600 round ball and .020 patch impregnated with moose milk. At a recent match I increased my powder to 80 grs at 75 yds and have had great results. I tried 90 grs at 100 yds and there is potential. May take another 20 years, but being retired who cares about time.

Kirrmeister, Romeoh,

Check your emails. If you have any fun ones in return, I'd love them. Perhaps we can start a new topic in the photo section - targets to shoot at. I've seen some wonderful ones at the Schuetzenmuseum in Illerbeuren, near the Landwirtschaftsfreilichtmuseum / Bauernmuseum. I took some photos of those; perhaps they's make some decent targets, although you'd need a color copier... hmmm.

Hi colmoultrie!

Thanks for the target. Had it in my email yesterday.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Back