• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally got my Walker to the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmarcone

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I finally got to the range today and shot my Uberti Colt Walker for the first time. I got it back in February but work and family has kept me from the range! In fact, today was my first time back at the range since October!!

Below is a shot of one of my targets. All shots were from 25 years, standing, using two-handed stance. Any variation in the groups was due mainly to experimenting with different stances (again, it's been nine months since I've been shooting). I was a little rusty.

I experimented with different loads -- from 35 grains all the way up to 50 grains. She seems to like 40 grains of Goex FFFG. I used a .454 round ball on top of a lubed wad.

A ton of fun to shoot -- lots of smoke and lots of comments from the guys at the range. Can't wait to get back out to the range -- hopefully within the month instead of another nine months!!

3632571237_7b0f8a7f93_b.jpg

:bow: Man ain't they just a blast to shoot? I just love the smoke and the b-o-o-o-o-m and the big shove in you hands. Mine's a Colt repro, parts made by Uberti and assembled in the USA. Just a very important part of my Revolver collection. Good luck pardner---- :thumbsup:

Nice shootin!!! Especially from " 25 YEARS" ????
Now That's REALLY SOMETHING!

Seriously...I know you were excited and suffering from Lack OF range Time.
You Definitely need to go to the range more often!
lack of range time Can lead to very serious
problems!
Let me clarify....I am not saying you cant shoot.. the target says you can...
its just the thought that your shootin from 25 years...1984 ???
you should calm down a bit...relax and go to the range again tomorrow...
I am sure it is just the excitement and all..

scalper said:
Nice shootin!!! Especially from " 25 YEARS" ????
Now That's REALLY SOMETHING!

Seriously...I know you were excited and suffering from Lack OF range Time.
You Definitely need to go to the range more often!
lack of range time Can lead to very serious
problems!

Yeah, I meant to write "25 yards."

And, yes, it's been painful not being able to get to the range this year. I own two businesses and have four kids (ages 7 through 16), so the past eight months have been busier than normal. Hopefully this summer I can make it to the range at least once a week. On the plus side, 3 of my kids want to come with me to the range, so I can get to the range this summer with them and score brownie points with the wife for getting the kids out of the house!

My 11 year old daughter likes shooting my .36 caliber Colt Navy. I am thinking of getting a Traditions Deerhunter in .32 caliber for the young uns to fire this summmer.

Sounds like a win/win situation !! You are indeed lucky, the kids ARE interested. Sometimes mine would rather shoot em up with a video game, but after they get out and shoot for real they say "let's do it again dad ". Just remember " you got to bring them up good, after all they are the one's that are going to pick your Old Folks home for you " :rotf: :rotf:

Mule Brain said:
I have the same beast!

I sure would hate to be on the receiving end!

I shoot 60 grains, and plink cans at 100 yards. Amazing the accuracy, with such hot handgun loads!

Yep -- next time out I am going to load 60 grains and fire away at 100 yards!!

As for the my target, I put it up to my chest and just about any shot would have put me in a world of hurt!!! But I do need more range time to tighten up my groups! :wink:

Well, did you get back to the range yet??

And if not, please try my competition-winning loading: 50 grains of 3Fg Goex, a pre-lubed wonder-wad, and a .454 Hornady ball. Very accurate, with every shot in the black of a B-19 NRA Qualification target. I aim 6.5 inches below the center of what I want to hit at 25 yards.

Remember to use a loading stand to obtain consistent pressure upon the balls so that they have the same seating depth, as this will stabilize the velocity, making smaller groups!

Have FUN with the master-blaster! I LOVE to watch other people looking at that gun being fired, so I offer it up any time someone wants to give it a try!

Dave

Not yet. Was there twice this month -- once with my two-band Enfield and once with my Colt Navy.

On a family vacation this week to the Outer Banks. Will hopefully get to the range next week with the Walker and report back!

Back