• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FInally got my pistols home!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwfeatherston

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It's been a long 8 months- that's how long it's taken me to get my pistol endorsement. Until now, my guns have had to live in the club safe! I had to shoot them, then give them a quick clean, before handing them back to a club armourer.

I have been having timing problems with my 2nd hand(very cheap) euroarms 1858.

As soon as I got it home, I pulled it completely apart and removed years of accumulated sludge and carbon from the trigger assembly. It works just fine now. Almost as good as my new Uberti and shoots to point of aim.

I hae lost track of the gear I have brought, supossdly useless, when all it needs is a good clean.

My gain, their loss ;-)

I have a couple of questions for you.

1) What is the law in NZ covering black powder pistols and revolvers? Are they treated the same as cartridge pistols?

2) When you cleaned out the years of accumulated sludge from your Euroarms 1858, was there any rust noticeable in the works?

I ask because, until recently, I had been in the habit of completely disassembling my revolvers after every shoot. Kept them pristine but took a couple of hours cleaning time and I finally gave up on it. I now just clean barrel and cylinder and wipe the frame over with a damp cloth to remove fouling residue. Perhaps once a year I'll strip them right down and give them a thorough clean.

Regards

Tight Wad :winking:

The laws are the same for blalck powder , as for any other working pistols. The only exemptions are for genuine antique pistols.

There was no rust- I would say they just kept pouring in the oil. helped that it is a stainless steel gun.

I wouldn't think it needs a complete dismantle every time- I make sure I squirt ballistol into the works every time I clean them, more in case I got water in there!

Tight Wad: If those pistols are Colt replicas, take the wooden handles off and break down into frame, barrel and cylinder. Run a solvent-soaked patch into each chamber and down the barrel. The put the whole works in your automatic dishwasher with the barrel and cylinder chambers vertical. Run through a whole cycle with soap, etc., and dishes if you wish. Take out while still hot, spray with WD 40, then oil and reassemble. Virtually painless cleaning. Been doing it for years with an 1860 Army Colt replica. graybeard

Greybeard

Just read your suggestion for cleaning.

The Colt design is undoubtedly easier to strip and clean. Unfortunately, mine are two Ruger Old Army's and a Pedersoli Rogers & Spencer repro. I don't worry so much about the Rugers since they're stainless steel (though I understand the internal springs aren't). The Rogers & Spencer is an excellent design but has a 'sprung' grip frame and is always a booger to dismantle - so I don't!

The law in NZ seems pretty much the same as here in the U.K. I hear just over the channel in France they don't even class blackpowder guns as firearms - no licensing requirement at all.
Tight Wad :thumbsup:

Back