• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally got my first Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done. You will never forget that one as long as you live.It will play out in your mind for ever. And even better you took him with a flinter. Just remember to give thanks for being allowed to take such an animal and making such a good shot. For it is the most important thing a hunter needs to remember, it is his responsibility to the animal to make a killing shot. Now fry up those tenderloins and enjoy.
Peter

Wonderful, encouraging report, Drift, thank you. I’m really happy for you, and although it can be time consuming, butchering your own deer ensures that you end up eating your deer, and not someone else’s. I’ve seen too many deer processors cut corners to take my deer there any longer. So much of your deer is turned into baloney, which the processor sells. Anyhow, great job. And it shows how tough deer can be. Yesterday I killed a buck with an antique rifle shooting a high velocity round. First shot was in his left side and cut the top of his lungs. He ran uphill 60 yards and acted as if nothing had happened. I shot him again from the other side, hitting right behind his shoulder and taking out the top of his heart and lower lungs. He literally just stood there like I had missed, and at 135 yards, I thought I had missed. I was disgusted and frustrated. Just as i was beating myself up, he toppled over like a felled tree — slow and deliberate. Incredible how much punishment some deer can take.

Also consider boning out and packing out your deep woods deer. You will end up leaving behind some meat and the ribs, but overall you’ll recover 90% of what you can eat, and spare yourself those long, brutal drags

Thanks for all the kind words fellas, The first round of steak's were quite nice last night. Aswell as a good bit of meat ready for the grinder

Drifting...great story! My congratulations on your perseverance! :thumb: Many give up too easily when sign of a hit is sparse...glad to see you stuck to it and were rewarded. I generally don't consider if it will be a tough drag if I think a tough spot to get into and out of will net a deer. You can always get them out one way or another, but it's hard to drag one out if you don't get a chance to shoot one in an "easy access" place if they aren't there! ;)

Good job, I looked through the comments but didn't gather what state?

Well done. I process animals myself. Always disappointed with the butcher near me. Don’t like it when I have to trim meat when I payed someone else to do it. He makes great sausage though!

Nice first deer, and great story to go with it. Hunting public land is definitely a challenge and adventure in it's self. The first of many I hope. Congrats!

Back