• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

finally finished 3rd build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemeteor

45 Cal.
Reaction score
3rd overall, but my first with curly maple - 1st two were cherry - CM sure is a different cat.

42" .50 cal B Rice barrel.

Pecatonica pre-carve - asked Mr. Greensides to send me the best piece he had - I think he did well.

Simple trigger, pinned thru the stock.

Ferric nitrate crystals dissolved in alcohol, plus Permalyn sealer and Chambers oil finish.

Also used the ferric nitate crystals in water to patina the brass.

not 100% sold on the LMF rust blue barrel treatment, but that's what my buddy wanted.
may take it back to gray after a year or two if he's OK with it.

Plenty of mistakes, including one at the end that brought tears to my eyes, but... I'll never tell.

:( Tried to keep the carving simple. But I know it still has issues.

Wood was so nice, I omitted the patchbox.
Don't really know if that's PC or HC.

Anyway, seeking constructive criticism - been strugglin with lock panel and wrist shape and am open to all comments and critiques.
MM

ELfinal1.jpg

ELfinal16.jpg

ELfinal4.jpg

ELfinal9.jpg

ELfinal15.jpg

ELfinal7.jpg

ELfinal5.jpg

ELfinal8.jpg

ELfinal11.jpg

ELfinal13.jpg

My buddy's initials are MM, as are mine, so I worked an "M" into the toeplate.

ELfinal10.jpg

Wow! Nice! I don't see any misstake you may have made. I sure wish I could do "simple carving" like that.
Woody

:applause:

Great job! I used to be a furniture maker and just like you, I was never 100% satisfied with the work I was doing. But that being said, as with your rifle, when you stand back and take in the finished product, you should really feel proud.

:hatsoff:

Looks good MM. Beautiful piece of wood too. Real sweet. I would have hollowed out the cheek piece a bit more so it is more concave. Also, in the same vein I would have carried the wrist down into the butt stock a bit more on the RH side. All in all a real nice job though. :thumbsup:

Heck, I'm impressed looks great to me,what grade wood would that be called? so how did you get started in carving, which tools did you start with? etc... beautiful job your friend must be proud to take that one to the range I wouldn't use a gun bag I would want everyone to see me carrying it. Ha Ha thanks for sharing

Wal' ah'll be!

Here I seem to remember when you was afraid to even think about building a rifle an now your turning out some real fine work, if I do say so myself! :thumbsup:

I think you're struggle with the lock panels was worth it. They look much better than many that I've seen on some professional gunbuilders that have been making rifles for years and years.

There's always room for improvement, but I think you've made a rifle that your friend can be very proud of.

:thumbsup: Looks real good!! I, too, am just finishing up my third rifle, my rendition of a Verner. One thing I learned from some place I forgot (man, it's hard gettin' old) Is I use my wife's nail files, you know the cardboard ones, and cut them to different shapes to help with the carving background. That way you get rid of the unevenness around the carving.
You did real good around the lock plate and the rest is choice!

I, too, love the carving! And the blueing, and the wood.....She's a beauty :grin:

Jeb said:
what grade wood would that be called? so how did you get started in carving, which tools did you start with? etc...

thanks for kind words. have had couple comments on the pudgy cheekpiece, so that is on my list (among many other things) to correct, improve, and move forward. many thanks !

Jeb, this was a grade 4 piece of curly maple from Dick Greensides at Pecatonica River.
I asked for the best piece he had in the shop - he said "well, I won't sell ya a 5 because I don't have a 5."
heck, I wouldn't a' known the difference.
Can't say enough good words about that guy and his outfit.

I got "started" in carving like most folks here I suppose: bought some chisels, drew some patterns, and jumped in.
there's a slew of threads on here about what chisels/tools to start with - search 'em up and take your pick.
bottom line: use what you like, and what works for you. and practice practice practice....- something I'm not good at. :(
Like many things, you get out of it what you put into it.

that's a real pretty gun! i think your carving looks very crisp and it seems to be finished well. if there is a mistake i can't see it. i like the color of the stock too.

Back