• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Filler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wb78963

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Any thoughts about using tumbler media (ground corncob) to take up space in revolver light loads to bring the ball closer to the chamber mouth?
Round there parts we eat corn meal and grits not shoot it.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

I've used cornmeal, gone to just using a felt wad and enough BP to make a compressed load. Seems to work, even on the Walker.

well since the Comanches have been pretty quiet since the Linnville raid and the Texas rangers chased them off heavy loads are not necessary.
That is why I use lighter loads and would like a filler.

right now i am playing with a brand new (to me) Pedersoli double barrel shotgun and an unmentionable rifle with a loop thing under the frame.
Once I get these sorted out the hand gun tests will begin.
Holding Center
Bunk?

well since the Comanches have been pretty quiet since the Linnville raid and the Texas rangers chased them off heavy loads are not necessary.
That is why I use lighter loads and would like a filler.

Heavy loads are not necessary, but are a lot more fun. 😸

I was shooting my ASM Third Model Dragoon at the 50 yard range recently, next to the usual guys with the ARs at 100 yards. They had no idea what it was that I was shooting, and had to ask. They really liked the smoke, fire and noise of the 50 grain FFF and round ball loads I was using.

BTW, the fixed rear sight on mine shoots to point of aim at 25 yards. The rearward folding sight hits at 75 yards, and no idea yet at what distance the forward leaf is set. Maybe 150 yards?
100_6804.JPG

100_6805.JPG

Last edited:
N
Heavy loads are not necessary, but are a lot more fun. 😸

I was shooting my ASM Third Model Dragoon at the 50 yard range recently, next to the usual guys with the ARs at 100 yards. They had no idea what it was that I was shooting, and had to ask. They really liked the smoke, fire and noise of the 50 grain FFF and round ball loads I was using.

BTW, the fixed rear sight on mine shoots to point of aim at 25 yards. The rearward folding sight hits at 75 yards, and no idea yet at what distance the forward leaf is set. Maybe 150 yards?
View attachment 54593
View attachment 54594
Hi BP<

Hi BP,
That is a neat gun for sure. My preference for lighter loads is because I mostly shoot snubbies and those short barrels don't need a lot of powder but are sure fun to shoot.
Somewhere I posted a picture of one of them hooked to a shoulder stock and that is really wild looking.
Keep making smoke
Holding center
Bunk

Yes, Bunk, I saw that picture of the short barreled 1851 with the shoulder stock. That picture inspired me (along with your suggestion) to buy two Uberti revolvers last summer, an 1861 "London" with shoulder stock mounting machining and hardware, and an 1851 with a 5" barrel. I swapped the two barrels so I could have a 1851 revolver with a 5" barrel, and mount it to my shoulder stock, similar to the one in your picture!
100_6831.JPG

100_6832.JPG
20201013_150415.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, Bunk, I saw that picture of the short barreled 1851 with the shoulder stock. That picture inspired me (along with your suggestion) to buy two Uberti revolvers last summer, an 1861 "London" with shoulder stock mounting machining and hardware, and an 1851 with a 5" barrel. I swapped the two barrels so I could have a 1851 revolver with a 5" barrel, and mount it to my shoulder stock, similar to the one in your picture!
View attachment 54597View attachment 54598
View attachment 54596View attachment 54597
View attachment 54598
I am a bad influence. I have a lot of wives mad at me that is why I post under my SASS alias.
But you got two one for each hand just like me..

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

More than that! I think I bought 5 BP revolvers since the scamdemic started last spring.

(edit to add) Yes, I did buy 5! I am looking for a shoulder stock for the Dragoon. Here is a group portrait...

100_6875.JPG

Last edited:
Hi BP,
That is a neat gun for sure. My preference for lighter loads is because I mostly shoot snubbies and those short barrels don't need a lot of powder but are sure fun to shoot.
Somewhere I posted a picture of one of them hooked to a shoulder stock and that is really wild looking.
Keep making smoke
Holding center
Bunk

To be fair you could say none of them need a lot of powder...

To be fair you could say none of them need a lot of powder...
Hi rodwha and BP,
That is true, but with the snubbies a lot of the powder gets blown out on the ground. It makes fertilizer, but expensive fertilizer.
also an added benefit makes a muzzle flash that is spectacular!

BP I am afraid you ae coming down with a serious case of "Gottagetanothergunitis". Unfortunately there is NO CURE it can only be put in temporary remission by another gun from time to time.
From a long time victim I wish you good luck.
Bunk

unfortunately my gun rack shows the same problem and mine come in pairs.
I have two hands
Bunk

Hi rodwha and BP,
That is true, but with the snubbies a lot of the powder gets blown out on the ground. It makes fertilizer, but expensive fertilizer.
also an added benefit makes a muzzle flash that is spectacular!

Bunk

I’m not so sure. I’ve spoken with a fellow who cuts down these revolvers and he said that 35 grns is the max charge before powder is wasted from either 3 or 3.5” (I don’t recall which). But my thinking is when we see pics of the flash I have a hard time believing excess powder isn’t consumed in that fireball. But what I’ve also read from one who put out a white sheet is that what’s collected does not burn, that it’s the waste materials and not unburned powder.

Back