• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Field Report: "oldnamvets' custom .40cal x 200grn R.E.A.L.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
This is a follow-up to range tests I made back in the summer using member 'oldnamvets' custom .40cal x 200grn R.E.A.L. bullet. Took a deer with it this afternoon. Load was 70grns Goex 2F, .40cal lubed felt OP wad, .40cal x 200grn bullet, and a .50cal lubed felt wad I wedged in on top of the bullet to ensure it stayed on the powder.
Bullet did not make a full body pass through with that mid-range powder charge.

CONDITIONS:
I sat down at 3:45pm near the mouth of a downhill sloping ravine that intersects a huge erosion ditch down in a 'bottom'...the ditch still has a line of trees along it left over from the clear-cut 2 years ago and I'd found a deer trail winding through them in the past.
At 4:45pm I noticed movement out front and it was the back of a lone deer moving along on the other side of a big poplar tree that had just recently been pushed over, probably by hurricane Sandy. Suspecting a buck, I whistled and sure enough the deer stopped and up comes a head with a respectable rack. I couldn’t see his heart because of the horizontal tree trunk but I could see his shoulder just above it and realizing when he started walking again and ran out of tree trunk he’d be in thick stuff and I wouldn’t have a shot at all, so I had to act.

I figured penetration wouldn't be a problem at only 40-50yds with the .40cal x 200grn R.E.A.L. projectile I was testing so I decided on the high shoulder shot like I would have taken with a .30-30/170grn slug...shot him just over the top of the tree trunk and he dropped dead in his tracks.
Good healthy, heavy bodied deer and the .40cal x 200grn R.E.A.L. bullet definitely makes the smallish .40cal a more viable big game rifle.

103012A001CroppedFullRt40calOnBody.jpg

103012B002CroppedHeadon40calonbody.jpg

103012C007CroppedFullview40calagainsttree.jpg

Nice shooting on a one fine looking buck. I can't help but be curious how it would be with a roundball. Did I miss it where you found the bullet since it was not a pass through? How did the bullet look?

Congrats RB!..Thanks for the report!..I'm a believer now!..
Gotta love that Hunting Honey Hole.
Great pic's are easy with a nice buck. :thumbsup:

Dave K said:
How did the bullet look?
I was worn out after dragging him up out of that bottom and then had a bit of a drive to deliver him...did not open him up, just delivered him whole

a fine buck ya got there!

all the butchers i called around here would not even consider taking a deer predressed. heck the one i took my deer too wanted me to skin it for em aswell. i told em that aint gonna happen so they settled with just field dressed.

-matt

well done sir, nice rifle, does that rifle take the 58 barrel as well? or are they separate rifles?

I guess I will have to pull out my 40 cal REAL bullet mold out and make some bullets. Roundball, I really should stop reading anything you write, as it always leads to me getting into something I hadn't plan on. I think you must be one of those folks my mother warnned me about! :wink:

An outstanding rifle from Matt Avance / TVM, it's a .40cal Late Lancaster (38" GM barrel, Chambers Deluxe Siler, Davis DST). Instead of putting funds into labor for things like patchboxes, inlays, carvings, engravings, some extra funds went into a really pretty plank...beautiful, very fast, very accurate.

It's purpose in life is for my small game and weekly range shooting for economy, not for deer...but when 'oldnamvet' announced about the custom mold he had made by Lee Precision, I twisted his arm to let me experiment...and the field test turned out to be a dandy buck.

No, the REAL didn't make a complete pass-through...(entered the shoulder / vertebrae area on his left side, positioned away from the camera)...and I suspect the moderate powder charge contributed to that.
But more powder made it print much higher with the sights set for a PRB squirrel load and I wasn't going to change my sights just for what I planned to be a single deer experiment.

Bottom line, 'oldnamvets' custom .40cal x 200grn R.E.A.L. definitely expands the capabilities of a .40cal...tip-o-the-hat to him for putting out a fair amount of personal money to have the custom mold made and then being willing to share with us.

NOTE:
For those who might try some, my recommendation is to ensure a snug fitting 'over-bullet-wad' or thick card is used to prevent movement off the powder.
Reason I say that is back when I experimented with some T/C .45cal/255grn Maxi-Hunters, they had a lot more friction in their shallow groove barrels...where this one seemed to move much easier in a deep groove round ball barrel.

I have to say that your pics would make any deer hunter drool with envy. Your gun is beautiful - great piece of wood! I just got my new .54 cal and it could almost be the twin of yours. Very exciting! I thank you for the wonderful blood-boiling pics. Our season starts this coming Monday; hopefully I'll get lucky. Your pics are what it's all about...thanks I'm pumped!

Latest posts

Back